Can't loosen the collet in 3J chuck

Hello,

I have a Sjorgen 3J chuck on my Colchester lathe. I haven't had this problem before (atleast not this bad). I have a 1.5" collet in it with some 1018 steel in the collet (about 14" into the head). Well I just finished parting off and now I can't lossen the collet in the chuck! The large hand wheel won't budge in either direction. I have an oil gun for it to lubricate it and the only other time it gave me trouble I lub'd it up and I could remove the collet. This time no go....

Thoughts welcome.....

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Hello,

Ignore request......after some bitching at the lathe and every so often trying again to loosen it, it finally tunered and I slammed my knuckles into the ways.

TTYL, Jeff

Jeff Williams wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Ouch!

Fitch"it hurts to think about it"Williams

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

Jeff Williams wrote in news:x_vCb.3354$ea%. snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Now would probably be a good time to take the closer apart, clean and grease the scroll.

Reply to
Anthony

Everyone knows that machines get very defensive when you get mad at them. Typically resulting in a busted knuckle, wrist or worse (leaning over a lathe and engaging the power crossfeed. Yes - the handle *still* turns, and - yes, they know *exactly* how high to put it).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.