Casenite/Kasenit

These product(s) are (apparently) no longer available in Canada and can not be imported

Can anyone advise re a recipe for a quick and dirty (albeit thin layer) case-hardening compund. Surely some of our gurus here have thought about htis one!

I used a mixture of "Hoof and Horn" as an apprentice in the Royal Navy in the 40's but it is not easily arranged to hold at high temperatures for long periods in a small workshop sans furnace!

Thanks all

Peter

Reply to
Pete

You can get Kasenite from MSC. Go to

and type "kasenite" in the quick search keyword field.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Hey Peter,

Where do you live? I'll be in Detroit on Wednesday, and could pick some up if anyone identifies a place to get it.

Brian Laws>These product(s) are (apparently) no longer available in Canada and can not >be imported

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Brownell's has it:

They accept international orders. Is there some specific prohibition against inporting Kasenite to Canada?

Guy Lautard (a Canadian) addresses case -hardening in one (or more) of his Bedside Readers. I think one method was using bone meal in a "muffle" comprised of a piece of iron pipe. This could be done in a charcoal fire.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Bone meal and barium carbonate (for, I think, color hardening). Barium carbonate may be had fairly inexpensively from some ceramics shops, and from most pyrotechnic chemicals dealers, like Skylighter.com and Firefox.com

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Barium carbonate is one of several chemicals that act as an activator, greatly increasing the rate of carbon diffusion. Case hardening can be done without an activator, but it takes long furnace times for a significant case depth to develope.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Hi Brian,

All of the usual suspects should carry it. J&L has closed most of their stores, but it might be available from their main store in Livonia. Otherwise, KBC on the east side or any of the Production Machinery stores should stock it. Heck, if it works for you, I'll donate my can.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

I have some 'HARD-N-TUFF' case hardening green powder that is not poisonous. You heat the steel red hot and dip it in that powder. Then reheat the steel and quench. On the data sheet it lists as the supplier: James Morton Limited 519-621 7240

75 State Street Cambridge(Galt) Ontario N1R 5V5 This may be an old address as I see that I have hand written on that sheet the postal code N1R 3L3 I don't know if they are still in business as this info is more than 30 years old. HTH John
Reply to
John

Hey Paul,

Well, we haven't heard back from Pete yet about where he's located. So, maybe we'll wait and see what he says first.

Take care.

Brian.

ps....any acti>Hi Brian,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks - but as I said, I can NOT import it !

Peter

Reply to
Pete

The MSDS says 90% Boric acid, plus iron oxides.

Don't know why you couldn't import it though, it looks pretty harmless.

Unless it's Boric acid packaged as a food or food additive, in which it case it violates Section 4(a) of the Food and Drugs Act. ;-) I imagine the iron oxides would make it pretty unpalatable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Pete -- you sent email, but when I replied, it bounced. so...

Pete, you really should check out Guy Lautard's "The Machinist's Bedside Reader" series. In one of them, he lists in _complete_ detail how to make one's own peach-pit charcoal, and the complete formula and process for in-shop case-hardening. The one article is worth the price.

I _think_ the article is called "The Bullseye Mixture", but I may be confusing that with another in the same series of books.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh