Cat V80 Forklift Repair

I may have the opportunity to purchase a Cat V80 lift truck. Diesel engine, flotation tires, cab. There is a minor problem. It will not go forward. It has been determined that the forward cluch is bad. Reverse is OK. Makes it a bit difficult to get forks under a pall!et!

I know that these are tough to work on. I am considering taking on this project if the unit can be purchased at a reasonable price. Is there any glaring reasons why I should run from this project? Any tips or advise? I have a reasonably equipped shop and a backhoe and hoists to lift heavy objects, but no specialty forklift tools such as a lift to access the underside or drop assemblies out the bottom.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Never thank in advance! Look into forklift graveyards before you buy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I`ve got a V80E.This is widened version of the standard V80.Before assumming the clutch needs replaced check the directional valve is free to float in it`s housing.This is a common fault on trucks and one that is easily and cheaply fixed.The big danger is that the problem has been there for a while and the clutch is now worn out due to slipping.Check the oil for metal content.Mine takes 10w engine oil not ATF as you would expect.I`ll have a look tomorrow if I remember for the location of the valve. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark