Chuckollet by Hancock Mng info required

I have a 5C Chuckollet collet chuck made by the "Hancock Mfg Co of Santa Clara, CA" I can't see how to stop the threaded protion of the chuck spinning as I try to screw a collet into it. Is there anyone have a collet chuck like this who could help with info on using it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
nic.alexander

According to :

I'm not familiar with your particular chuck, but *usually* a 5C collet holder has a pin back in the bore which engages the groove in the collet to prevent the collet from rotating while you tighten the threaded portion (be it a drawbar or a threaded plate or ring, or a lever closer of some form) onto the back of the non-rotating collet.

It may have been sheared off (or removed by a previous owner) if this is not a new device.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi, there is a pin, so if you slide the collet in it will engage on the pin. What I haven't figured out is that the threaded ring that would screw onto the collet is mounted on a ball race, so it is free-spinning. If I were able to get the collet to screw onto this collar, I could then tighten the outer knurled ring on the chuck which pushes out the tapered collar (with the indexing pin) to compress the collet. The only solution I have though of so far is to make a sort of drawbar with a short thread on it to screw into the back of the threaded ring. The short thread would allow me to lock it onto the ring, thereby giving me something to turn on to engage the thread. I'm pretty sure this isn't the correct method of mounting a collet in the chuck, hence my post to see if I was missing something.

Reply to
nic.alexander

According to :

The 5C collet chucks which I have seen (e.g. the Bison ones) have the threaded ring surrounded by a bevel gear which is turned by a square chuck key in an appropriate socket in the side of the chuck body.

I've never seen one of these. Perhaps a bunch of detail photos in the dropbox

will give me an idea what we are talking about.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi DoN,

I have sent some pictures to the dropbox, prefixed as Chuckolletxxx.

Regards, Nick

Reply to
nic.alexander

According to :

[ ... ]

O.K. Your ".txt" file which accompanied the images reads (after re-formatting to fit the newsreader):

====================================================================== I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to secure the threaded ring in this "Chuckollet" when mounting a 5C collet.

The indexing key is visible from the front and back views.

The 2 allen key adjustments on the side seem to be locking devices, and don't rotate the threaded ring, (as might have been hoped) which is visible from the back view.

The threaded ring is mounted on ball bearings and turns very freely.

The knurled ring at the front of the chuck moves the tapered body of the chuck away from the threaded ring to compress and tighten the collet. There is a knurled locking ring behind it.

Included images:

Chuckollet-Front.jpg Chuckollet-Back,jpg Chuckollet-Side1.jpg Chuckollet-Side2.jpg ======================================================================

And looking at those photos, it looks very interesting, and like something which I would I would like to have in my hands to examine. Even with the photos, there are things which I can't tell.

It *looks* as though the key is on a separate ring. Is that actually a firm part of the body? If it were on a separate ring, then there should be some mechanism to rotate it and lock the threaded ring or vice versa.

Otherwise, with the tightening being done by the knurled ring in the front, it makes me think that it is for long production runs, in which you unmount the collet chuck to change collets, and then simply change parts using that one collet.

How big is the spindle hole in the lathe? I could imagine something reaching through the spindle and holding and turning the ring to tighten it onto the collet.

Other than that, I would have to disassemble the chuck to make more guesses.

Perhaps your images will strike a chord in someone else who has actually *used* these.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The key is fixed and the threaded ring free, as far as I can tell. I mounted the chuck on the D1-6 backing plate, so your idea of removing the chuck is certainly possible. The lathe bore is about 56mm, and my only idea so far was just that; to make a long threaded pipe to screw into the back of the threaded ring to allow it to be rotated whil the chuck is mounted. I will look at the 2 allen keys again, because I haven't determined what they do yet.

Regards, Nick

Reply to
nic.alexander

According to :

Plenty of bore.

What I might be tempted to do is to drill two holes into the back of the ring spaced to accept a pin spanner made into the end of the pipe, so you can spin it on or off fairly easily.

Perhaps they lock the ring, once the collet is installed?

I presume that the spelling in your Subject line, "Chuckollet" is printed or engraved on the device itself? And the spelling of the abbreviation "Mng", presumably for "Manufacturing" is as it appears on the chuck?

Is there a country of origin marked on it anywhere? (For that matter, approximately where are you located -- country is probably close enough?) That might help find information from the manufacturer. A Google search returns either way too much, or way too little. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi DoN,

I am in Auckland, New Zealand, but the collet was made in Santa Clara, California, and as you say, Chuckollet is printed on the nose of the chuck.

Regards, Nick

Reply to
nic.alexander

According to :

I had hoped that it would be from somewhere less covered by the net. My Google searches were rather fruitless.

So -- if you pull the screws, I would be interested in knowing what you find there.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols