Clausing lathe?

Hope you didn't get burned too bad on that pinion gear. Most of their parts are pretty reasonable, but some can sting pretty bad.

I'd think that a bed turret could apply more force due to the torque amplification one gets from the radius on the spider, but maybe the threads on the TS screw are the same or higher. The gear and rack on the 5914 BT is pretty beefy, but maybe it can't stand up to the same abuse as the TS. I do find it handy to use the bed turret when drilling fairly deep holes in small diameters as the insertion/retraction is quick and not so hard on the wrist as compared to a TS. Not much force involved there, though.

Didn't know that - thanks for pointing it out.

The BT on the 5914 has a lock, so no problem there and I do think that the BT turret could supply sufficient force for turning between centers though I haven't needed to try that yet..

One might be able to get around that with one of those knee-type turret tools, but it might be tough to limit the offset to just one plane.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Boring head.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

It was not bad, at all, though I seem to have lost the record of that order.

The ratio of the tailstock would be the circumference of the handwheel at the crank point vs the distance traveled in a single turn.

That of the tailstock would be the ratio of the ball handle radius to the pitch radius of the spur gear.

I think that they may work out to be about the same, but you get the extra benefit of an Acme screw, so you don't have to fight to keep the pressure on -- since the Acme can't be driven back.

Agreed. There are lever-feed tailstocks, and lever-feed kits for the existing tailstock (or there once were, at least) which make them a but better for drilling than the standard tailstock. I've got a copy of a manual for installing the kit somewhere, but of course, no kit. :-)

I discovered this by receiving some in lots of unusual tooling from eBay. I've got one mounted in a boring bar holder for an Aloris toolpost, so I can use the carriage for deep drilling -- and even use power feed for the drilling.

The lock which Harold described to me involved removing the shim from the last bolt (tailstock end, not headstock end) in the gibs to allow the bolt to clamp it down onto the ram ways for locking the ram in position. You lose a bit of the guidance of the ram -- but from the end where it is least needed. I suspect that if used for long, you would accumulate wear and have to mill or grind off a bit of the end over the base casting to allow it to contact the ram again.

Get a boring head with a 1" cylindrical shank, and take a level to get it set just right (assuming that the bed is level too, instead of just adjusted true -- this is one place where true leveling would benefit the lathe.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols