Computer questions

A LOT of sites are now using html5 - which is not supported by IE8 - and IE9 will not work on XP

Reply to
clare

Corrupt on an MS server?? How would they tell considering how bad some of the code they write is....

Reply to
Steve W.

Thousands of complaints the day it was released, to start with. That business is between a rock & a hard place. The accounting firm only accepts raw data from Quickbooks, and the only affordable version requires .net. The SQL database version will run under Linux, but costs a hell of a lot more.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Because there are so few machining threads and it's one way to keep this group alive.

Yeah, like it would die without you...................

Reply to
Steve B

If the "accounting" firm only accepts quickbooks data, get a new "accountant". One with a real accounting designation.

Reply to
clare

It's not my business. The owners have used this service for most of the 20 years they have been in business. They directly import the raw data to do the bookkeeping for hundreds of local businesses, since it is the largest accounting firm in the area. the can accept the data in other forms, but charge more for their services. By having all the customers use Quickbooks for the front end, it lowers the operating costs at both ends, and speeds up the process since their entire staff is used to the exact same data format. It makes sense for a business that's not large enough to need a full time accountant. They also use a manufacturing module to track inventory in Quickbooks. They use anodized aluminum tubing & heavy vinyl in their products along with some molded plastic & cast aluminum.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sound like the outfit near me that makes boat stuff. Taylor

Reply to
Steve W.

These are art show canopies, director's chairs and a few accessories for the canopies.

Don't blame me for the website, I don't maintain it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This appeared again, even though it was dated from about a week ago.

If it was claiming that your IE was outdated, and was pushing Chrome instead, it was not from your computer -- it was from the web pages which you were visiting, trying to force you to change browsers.

Now -- you've downloaded and installed Chrome -- but are you actually *using* Chrome when you get those messages, or still using IE?

I consider getting away from IE to be a good thing, but I'm not sure that Chrome is any better -- different weaknesses and nasty things being done.

How would you know? Most of the undesirable things are hidden beneath the surface -- the tracking, the ability of a web site to install a virus, and the other things. You would not see them happening, just (somewhat later) the effects of that -- likely when you are not even using the browser.

The "taking you to Bing" is likely to be something programmed into the web page where you are clicking -- or a web page is modifying your preferences to say that you prefer Bing -- even though you apparently don't. This is a problem with both browsers -- the ability to change preferences without asking your permission.

The only way to get rid of OE, is to get rid of Windows -- use some other OS, such as one of the Linux or BSD flavors. Probably something like Ubuntu might be the best from your point of view. Now, I

*can't* run either IE nor Chrome on my systems. They don't make them to run on Sun's Solaris on an UltraSPARC CPU -- and I *still* have (in the past) gotten things trying to get me to "upgrade" from IE to Chrome, so I know that those are bogus, as I can't have IE to upgrade *from*. :-)

Change the OS to some unix flavor (the Linux or BSD mentioned above) so you *can't* run either of the programs in question. (Hmm ... maybe Chrome is available to run on some flavors of linux running on Intel hardware (what Windows runs on), but you don't have to use it.

Newsreader choice is very personal. I like slrn (which

*requires* a unix flavor). Others have other preferences. Bear in mind that I *don't* like Windows at all -- any version thereof. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols