Copper recovery rates

Great timing! That would be after silver hit an all time high of about $50/ounce, then fell back drastically. Today, you'd expect to pay no less than about $25/ounce.

Are you sure it's fine? It's not commonly used for jewelry, although not unheard of. I'd think it was sterling---92.5% silver, 7.5% copper. Great conductor, but not necessarily the best for arc resistance. Either way, you did good. There's a simple test to see if you have fine silver, if you have any doubts. A tiny drop of nitric acid and distilled water (don't use tap water----it has chlorine in it) applied to the material will dissolve a minute amount of the material and yield a clear solution that precipitates silver chloride (looks sort of like cottage cheese) when you add chlorine (table salt or HCL). If the solution remains clean, never turns blue/green, it's pure. If you slowly develop a greenish color, which turns blue after you're precipitated the silver, it's either sterling or coin silver.

Could be, but not because they can't do better. It's long been a theory about planned obsolescence. They expect you to buy replacement parts---which I can imagine is a large part of their business. Replacement parts are often priced thousands of a percent higher than their real cost. It could also be that the contacts you replace are like the ones I'll describe below, an alloy of silver and cadmium near as I could tell.

What's the advantage to the various alloys? Why don't they just use

I'm not a chemist, physicist or metallurgist, so I hesitate to reply, but for one, silver is quite soft. That's the reason it was alloyed with copper (10%) for coinage in our country. The combined elements are much tougher than either one alone------much like bronze.

Don't short change the idea that it's far more expensive than base metals, so they can stretch it nicely by alloying. That's particularly true in the case of 10K gold rings. If you understand the old marking laws, and the strategy that was used in compliance with the laws, you quickly come to understand that a 10K gold class ring, made before '75, was most likely really only 9K, which is illegal in the US. Nothing lower than 10K was considered solid gold, but tolerance in manufacturing allowed for the misleading marking, which made it legal. That is no longer true. They were allowed 1/2% for alloy variation, and 1/2% for solder, which, while gold, often is slightly lower in karat than the parent metal. Combined, they had

1% that could be substituted with base metals, a whopping 10% savings in gold when you do the math. Considering the jewelry industry used to consume gold by the ton for class rings, you can visualize the savings (or profit).

For the record, I processed enough class rings to know that what I say is very true. The yield always bordered barely above 9%, and I was very thorough in my processing----very little didn't report in the end product.

I realize that my stuff is light duty, low

Pretty much. I know for fact, due to having refined them in bulk, that many of the contacts are a composite of tungsten and silver, predominantly tungsten, which you quoted, above.. It's used for arc resistance as I understand it, but then, as I said, I'm not a metallurgist.

While I never analyzed contacts for all elements (wasn't necessary*), I believe that many of the smaller ones are alloyed with cadmium. Why, I have no idea, but it wasn't uncommon to process a batch of small contacts and come up with a surprisingly low amount of silver, and nothing else that was identifiable with the processes I used. Again, when you consider the value of each element, there are definite monetary advantages to alloying.

  • Knowing what was present wasn't a factor. Silver is put into solution, then extracted with copper. Anything else present of low or no value remains in solution (zinc, copper, nickel, etc.). Gold can't be in solution with silver (not in acid), and any traces of other precious metals (platinum group) are precipitated along with the silver, so there's a complete recovery of values. The only thing that otherwise goes with the silver is the miniscule amount of base metal that is dragged down mechanically-----and that is removed in the final process---along with other values-----by electrolytic refining.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

snip--

I used it when I was closing the doors on my refining business, to clean up accumulated plated pins (wire wrap components). I processed something like

150 pounds of clean pins and strips. As you alluded, it works fairly well, particularly when there's a nickel barrier. Given an opportunity, I'd never use it if I had the option to strip with sulfuric acid, though. That process is fast and clean, and certainly less hazardous than cyanide, although hardly totally safe. You tend to run blind with the cyanide stripper.

The thing you need to watch is--- if it starts attacking copper, if it's precipitating gold in the process. You'd never now, it doesn't look like gold, it's just dark brown or black crud. It gets tossed, and you wonder what happened to your gold.

If you don't know, our own government was (is?) involved in recovering gold from plated items back in the '75, in New Mexico. They were using the sulfuric process at the time. I was flown there by a client, who made arrangements for me to inspect their stripping cell in order to duplicate it for him. The trip was a grand success, and I built two stripping cells. This was in the transition period, where I was still running my commercial shop, but refining on the side for grins. I was shocked to hear that the government had recovered what I recall was something like 35,000 ounces of gold the previous year. Old microwave stuff was very heavily plated. Some of it yields as high as 3% gold, which boggles the mind by today's standards. I used to purchase wire wrap connectors and modify them for a defense contract customer. The pins were plated with less than .0001" gold, very unlike the stuff in question.

The screwing I got when I sold my platinum two years ago is hard to believe. I recalled the material from one source when they tried to convince me that it was down around 70%------the second refiner started off much better, but still got to me over the long haul. They have you over a barrel with the platinum group----there's a huge demand, but a very closed market. If you're not on the inside, you can figure you're going to get screwed. I wasn't, and I was. :-(

I have other war stories-equally as bad. Large refiners have no interest in dealing with the common man, and make him sorry if he insists.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Power circuit breaker contacts are always a silver tungsten alloy for erosion and welding resistance. Fine silver would never last in service.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Fine silver is suitable for low power DC circuits only, IIRC. The various alloys are needed to handle mechanical battering, erosion resistance, resistance to welding, vaporization resistance, etc. found in switchgear and motor control equipment. The technology is well understood and has been for many years since it was one of the first problems facing electrical equipment makers in the early 20th century.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Back when we made them, vacuum contactors had molybdenum contacts. Apparently it has a low vapour pressure. That was in the days when we still had a manufacturing industry in the UK :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Well, I have several pounds of the TechniStrip-Au, and have gotten to where I trust what it is doing. I have burned EVERYTHING out, after much of the water evaporates. I did get almost all the gold to precipitate out in the first precipitation, once I got hold of the Zinc flour. (We discussed this a year or so ago, and you directed me to some of these tricks.) There's no doubt where the gold is, you just mash that mud with a lab spatula and metallic gold appears! That is as close to magic as I've seen in quite a while!

Much of the gold scrap I have is VERY old, some of it from vacuum tube gear from the late 50's and the early transistor gear from the 60's. The gold there is a LOT heavier than what was used even by the 70's. I also have a modest pile of boards made using gold resist, where the entire circuit traces are gold-plated, they used the gold as the etching resist. There, it is not so much the thickness of the gold, but that it covers the entire board.

Anyway, I'm building some processing gear like miniature drum rollers to agitate the scrap in the solution, and will be doing another batch soon. I need to reduce this big pile of scrap, it is about 10 cu ft of stuff, some of it pretty dense like just boxes of ckt board fingers.

Thanks again, Harold!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It would be pretty hard to lose values with the process you're using. The only place you could possibly improve (if at all) would be to melt the entire lot once collected and fuse it with litharge, then cupel it (the same process as a fire assay, but much larger in volume). That's not for the feint of heart, particularly without a cupel furnace. Besides, it's pretty well frowned upon these days, putting all that lead in the atmosphere.

Welcome! Talking about it brings back some pretty fond memories.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos