Crap!

A guy is coming tonight to look at the SA 200 to buy it. I had some welding to do on an old cement mixer I bought with some heavy steel bracing, and wanted to get it done before Sally leaves, and to make sure it was all charged up and running okay.

I fired up old Sally, and she took the usual 1.38 seconds to start.

I carefully set the controls, and then ran some 7018, both 3/32" and 1/8".

Holy crap! I need some practice. The vertical ups were the worst.

It's like riding a bike, you don't forget. But you do crash a few times before you get the hang of it.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Never had much luck with 7018. With 6013, I can run up, down and sideways no problem. JR Dweller in the cellar

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
JR North

Are you sure it's not the opposite problem? I find that using a shade lighter by 1 or 2 bumps than recommended helps my aging eyes see the puddle.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I also always use a lighter shade for the same reason.

Ignoramus12585

I use the dark shade

- and reading glasses...

Reply to
cavelamb

I'm at a 9 on a NexGen. I don't know if I want to go lighter than that. And then, though, I am wearing transition bifocals, so don't really know at any point now dark they are ................ Maybe I need to look at them before I weld and see how dark they are, and going a shade or so lighter would be safe ...............

HEY ERNIE..............................

What do you think?

Will post this as a separate thread.

Reply to
Steve B

Only real men can run 7018. OOPS. I guess that leaves me out. At least for today .........

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

its a family tradition, got from my mother. She couldn't see to drive at night starting at about 35. I made it to 45. Any variation in lighting level and i can't see in the shadow at all.

Now, i did tell my dad that I've started to forget a couple things. He said, dont worry, it will get worse!

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Glad it turned out like it did, I was afraid that it was going to be like when I tried to sell my spare 1 ton flatbed last month, I decided to fire it up and move it out of the back corner of the shop lot before the buyer came, makes it easier to look at, and easier to start if it was a little warm... Of course, when I went to start it for the buyer, the clutch master cylinder blew, and then the battery died...

Some days you just cannot win.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

chaniarts

Because you didn't strap your toast to the back of a cat !!!!

Reply to
Steve W.

Gunner Asch on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 22:30:41 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Never fails. You do some of your best work where it doesn't need to be done at all. Unlike government, which does badly what it often should not be doing in the first place.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I did a weld job on a FD tanker a few weeks ago like that. The tank had the bottom replaced and the weld had to be good so it wouldn't leak. No problem, beautiful beads all around. Then the decorative plate that covers it and is out where the world can see, Lets just say that the grinder can hide a multitude of sins....

Reply to
Steve W.

Schroedinger wouldn't let him borrow it .

Reply to
Snag

Neighborhood auto service cum small machine shop owner ran his place on a 10KW cat/toast-powered 3ph generator for years! Had to shut it down for half an hour twice daily to feed the cats and replace the toast though. Still, cheap at half the price.

Hardest part was getting the cats restarted exactly 120 degrees apart.

Reply to
John Husvar

(...)

He did, and he didn't.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Is that cat still there????

Reply to
cavelamb

That's a good one too, W!

Reply to
cavelamb

Open the box and see ...

Reply to
Snag

It is one thing to do a good job which will not be seen, and another to do a half-assed job because nobody will see it. I'm coming to the point that most of the quality work which gets done, more often than not gets done by people who care about their own work, rather than what the boss wants. (And a lot of crap gets done by people who have dialed their "give a shit" back to "just more than will get me fired." They used to care, but their burned out. Not good.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich