Crap!

A guy is coming tonight to look at the SA 200 to buy it. I had some welding to do on an old cement mixer I bought with some heavy steel bracing, and
wanted to get it done before Sally leaves, and to make sure it was all charged up and running okay.
I fired up old Sally, and she took the usual 1.38 seconds to start.
I carefully set the controls, and then ran some 7018, both 3/32" and 1/8".
Holy crap! I need some practice. The vertical ups were the worst.
It's like riding a bike, you don't forget. But you do crash a few times before you get the hang of it.
Steve
Never had much luck with 7018. With 6013, I can run up, down and sideways no problem. JR Dweller in the cellar
Steve B wrote:

Only real men can run 7018. OOPS. I guess that leaves me out. At least for today .........
Steve
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:02:59 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Are you sure it's not the opposite problem? I find that using a shade lighter by 1 or 2 bumps than recommended helps my aging eyes see the puddle.
--
Ned Simmons

I also always use a lighter shade for the same reason.
Ignoramus12585 wrote:

I use the dark shade - and reading glasses...
--

Richard Lamb

I'm at a 9 on a NexGen. I don't know if I want to go lighter than that. And then, though, I am wearing transition bifocals, so don't really know at any point now dark they are ................ Maybe I need to look at them before I weld and see how dark they are, and going a shade or so lighter would be safe ...............
HEY ERNIE..............................
What do you think?
Will post this as a separate thread.

I don't see how you would go lighter? The Nexgen only goes down to #9, unless you drop all the way to #5.
I don't wear any glasses nowadays, so I can't really advise.

its a family tradition, got from my mother. She couldn't see to drive at night starting at about 35. I made it to 45. Any variation in lighting level and i can't see in the shadow at all.
Now, i did tell my dad that I've started to forget a couple things. He said, dont worry, it will get worse!

Steve B wrote:

Glad it turned out like it did, I was afraid that it was going to be like when I tried to sell my spare 1 ton flatbed last month, I decided to fire it up and move it out of the back corner of the shop lot before the buyer came, makes it easier to look at, and easier to start if it was a little warm... Of course, when I went to start it for the buyer, the clutch master cylinder blew, and then the battery died...
Some days you just cannot win.
Steve B wrote:

http://www.physics.org/facts/toast-toast.asp
Steve B wrote:

Because you didn't strap your toast to the back of a cat !!!!
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

Schroedinger wouldn't let him borrow it .
--
Snag
Got Guns ?
On 7/8/2010 1:41 PM, Snag wrote:
(...)

He did, and he didn't.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

That's a good one too, W!
--

Richard Lamb

On 7/8/2010 4:44 PM, cavelamb wrote:

:)
--Winston
And his cat vaporized in inverse mode. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 7/8/2010 5:27 PM, Winston wrote:

Snag wrote:

Is that cat still there????
--