Detroit Diesel 3-53 would not stop after air intake closed? WTF?

Many Detroit Diesels from that period had an emergency shutdown that moved little arms into the path of the valve spring retainers, jamming one valve per cylinder partly open , and in so doing, killing the compression. That may be what Iggy was referring to as something moving in the valve cover area. Taking off the valve cover on those engines definitely would defeat that mechanism.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, yes, if you are not a DD devotee, they sound WAYYY different from conventional 4-stroke Diesels. The Roots blower is an integral part of the engine, and has a distinctive and high sound. The engine is running twice as many power strokes as a 4-stroke, and thus sounds twice as fast. So, full power at near rated RPM sounds to the unexperienced to be an engine well into a runaway when it is just running fine. (Your neighbors are just going to LOVE you.....)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I believe that the spring loaded rack system was made as a substitute for the inlet damper which DD recommended be disconnected. However engines used in the oil industry are still required to have inlet air damper type shutdowns. Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
john B.

I have both the rack and air damper.

The cause of my trouble was that one injector was stuck and the rack could not pull the arms out of the injectors.

Ignoramus20088

I am now a DD devotee. It is a very beautiful engine. I always had a love for diesel engines in general.

If I had a farm or a lot of room, I would keep the DD and would make it do something. I would pay to have it rebuilt.

Ignoramus20088

Is it new enough to be an aluminum block? If so go find a mid 70's GMC P/U and install it. Would make a great hauler.

Reply to
Steve W.

Nope Iggie, you had an old Jimmy. You rack was the old style that could stay partially open if an injector stuck. Later versions called a single screw" will shot off all the injectors except the one that sticks Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
john B.

A lot of errors - hmmm must be my spelling checker. It should have read "called for a "single screw" will shut off".

Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
john B.

I've seen them installed in F100 FORD P/U trucks too. Then there was an F350 with a 6-71 in it.

Reply to
clare