Diesel submarines

Don't worry. The ADA will catch up with it soon enough.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

They'll probably bypass building stairs and go straight for an elevator.

Reply to
asdf

sAME AS ABOVE FROM us NAVY VET. J H HART

J H HART

How about:

********************************** Fat chics think they're hot, Hot chicks think they're fat... *********************************** Pragmatist
Reply to
pragmatist
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Well ... where I used to work, a bridge hit a car in the parking lot one day.

It was a mobile amphibious bridge built for the U.S. Army.

*Big* things, those.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 7 Oct 2004 09:44:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

At the moment they don;t ecen run ON the water! Surely someone on the list knows this. How can a submarine, powered by

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:27:35 GMT, Shiver Me Timbers vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I think that selling four subs that are crap is a nasty move. But buying them without trying them is pretty damned silly. Hasn't anyone heard of Sea Trials?

BTW, before I am accused of Can(adian. I believe subs are called cans?) bashing, I live in Oz. We _build_ _our_ junk subs for ourselves!

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

It is simple to understand. Watch a war wwII movie The Diesel is used to charge batteries and run on surface. The batteries, deep discharge, are used underwater. If they go out, then up they must go! Typically they charged at night if moon dark. Daytime can be a mess if batteries are flat and charging in the radar of someone or a flyover...

The sub can't hold enough compressed oxygen to think about running Diesel under water.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

U-505. Captured in the Atlantic during WWII by a US aircraft carrier fast attack group, commanded by (then) Capt. Daniel V. Gallery.

One of my favorite stories from WWII. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Watch a copy of "Das Boot" in german with english subtitles.

Reply to
Steve

You people are behind the times:

2 weeks at 5 knots on lox and diesel. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Hey, cool. If an enemy ship is getting away and the sub is out of torpedos it can juts pump out the lox and freeze the sea! Hmm, instant, highly flammable icebergs--WMD?

Reply to
B.B.

One of my coworkers had a car run over by a boat, the boat ran away from the trailer. Made an interesting insurance report. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

The diesel submarines I worked on used a snorkel mast to take in air. The exhaust was through an adjacent mast and was diffused underwater. Essentially a snorkel mast is a telescoping tube with a valve on the top ( called a head valve) that was activated by a series of electrodes. If a wave contacted the electrode the valve would slam shut and then open as soon as it passed. The other way the submarines used battery power. The batteries were charged either during snorkeling or while on the surface. When they dove they would secure the diesel engine and run off battery power. To run the diesel under water they would come up to periscope depth. The snorkel intake and exhaust mast were raised. I blast of exhaust would blow the water out of the snorkel mast and through a series of valves that prevented water from coming into the diesel engine intake would then be opened and the engine run using outside air.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Mauch

---------------------------------------------------- Those diesel and lox subs couldn't carry enough bagels to last 5 weeks under water. Donald Warner

Don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices

Donald

And I reply:

Totally, utterly, useless knowledge. I learned something new today. I love it. Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

IIRC the British have been looking at stored oxidizer diesel subs for some times. They continued the German work with peroxide (HTP), though IDNR if they produced an operational boat with that system. NOX is another alternative, though you trade higher storage pressures and lower oxygen content than LOX or HTP for higher storage temperatures than LOX and better chemical stability than HTP.

Reply to
Eric Pederson

And the USS Silversides, SS-236, a W.W.-II Fleet sub, is in Muskegon, Michigan.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Being restored:

You can click on parts of the sub and take a virtual tour... I was in there about 20 years ago, very cool. David

Reply to
David Courtney

For a long time I tried to find a copy of "Das Boot" in german with english subtitles on Laserdisk (this was about 10 years ago). Finally, I got a catalog that advertised "Das Boot", in german, with subtitles. I immediately sent off my order. A week or two later it arrived: "Das Boot", in german, subtitled... in japanese!

Eventually I found the edition I wanted, but I kept the japanese one just for fun.

They should have this movie playing inside U-505. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie