Diesel submarines

Surely someone on the list knows this. How can a submarine, powered by an air breathing diesel engine, run underwater where there's no fresh air intake? Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

When under water they run on an enormous pile of batteries stored underneath the mess. Most of the tine they run on the surface, where the diesel engines power the boat and charge the batteries.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Doing a little trolling today are we.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

I can ask more questions like this.

How come people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

PS just in case you are serious, diesel submarines have two power plants, a diesel engine and an electric motor with lead/acid batteries. They charge batteries when they are near surface and have access to air, and run on batteries underwater.

Reply to
Ignoramus19386

Say Shiver, how many submarines are you gonna find in Ohio these days?

I think he was serious....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, but not for long.

Been there, done that.

Howard retire Navy Chief, Chief of the Watch & Diving Officer qualified

Reply to
Howard R Garner

The Germans had a retractable snorkel installed on some U-boats that allowed running the diesel just below the surface.

Reply to
John Kunkel

NO metal content, stop right here if you wish.....

Ignoramus19386 wrote:

BTW, that construction is called a CHIASMUS.

Chi is the name of the grapheme "X" in the Greek alphabet.

If you write the two clauses parallel to each other:

How come people drive on parkways,

and park on driveways?

and visualize two straight lines connecting the two "parks" and the two "drives" they will cross in sort of an an X shape.

More than ya needed to know, 'eh?

*****************************

The most famous Chiasmus of the last century was JFK's:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Several other politicians said much the same thing before Kennedy, but he said it best....

*****************************

My personal favorite is:

While women f*ck for love, men just love to f*ck.

****************************

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

How about does anyone know where plans for a small 1 atm dry sub could be found? Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

It can't, for more than a minute or two. It would suck all the air out of the sub in short order. It either has to 'snorkel', with an air pipe to the surface, or run on electric motors powered by batteries. The batteries are recharged by the Diesel whole the sub is on the surface, or snorkeling.

Even when snorkeling there can be problems. The snorkel has a valve to exclude seawater when a wave breaks over it. Thus, in rough water, it's opening and closing often. When it closes the Diesel momentarily draws air from inside the sub, with a rapid loss of air pressure, and causing the crew considerable discomfort ('popped' ears, sinus discomfort, etc.)

Still, it works, and is done commonly, except on nuclear subs.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

How about a "semi-submersible" dry sub?

David

Reply to
David Courtney

One for sure -- at one of the Cleveland waterfront parks. (Edgewater Park?) They have a Destroyer moored around there too.

Reply to
Johan

I don't know Jeff, right now our Country is worried about the one that is dead in the water off the coast of Scotland, with one crewmember dead due to smoke inhalation as a result of an electrical fire the other day.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

As some of you may be aware, Canada recently bought 4 used diesel electric subs from Britain.

They have been having their teething problems, but that aside....

In Alberta we have what we consider the world's biggest mall.

The West Edmonton Mall is 24 square city blocks in size.

It has many theme areas inside including 4 submarines that technically go a few feet underwater as part of the tourist ride.

Before Canada purchased these used subs from Britain we used to joke that the W.E.M had more subs than the Canadian navy.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

On batteries. They only run the diesels when they're at "snorkel depth". And yes, the "snorkel" involved is exactly what it sounds like.

Reply to
Don Bruder

The USS Cod is stationed in Cleveland in the water.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Indeed. How come if your stuff goes on a ship, it's cargo, and if it's going via truck it's a shipment?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well I won't comment about submarines in Ohio but there was a submarine accident on a local air base. It hit a stop sign..

Seems someone was building a small submarine and was trucking it to the bay area (SF calif.) and it wiped out a stop sign on the way out.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

I forget which, but a U-boat is parked in Chicago.

Tim

Tim Williams

The USS Cod is the only US sub that has not had stairwells and doors cut into it. To enter it you have to crawl the orignal ladders and hatches. I've been there numerous times and the last time one of the guides let my 4 year old boy crawl inside one of the torpedo tubes for a picture!

Reply to
asdf