Can someone identify this boat?

I was looking at pics of the Dutch IPMS 2006 and spotted a rather interesting German boat. I don't normally do boats, but this one was interesting enough I would if I could ID it and find one. Here is the link to the pics, it's on page 2, top row pics #4 and 5, and second row, #'s 1 and 2.

Thanks.

Reply to
Disco58

I'm sorry... I can't help you with your query. But I'd just like to say that that is a most incredible diorama. The quayside atmosphere is just wonderful. Whoever built that would no doubt make a superb railway modeller.

I love looking at other people's models!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Well, it's Russian, or at least it's got a set of Russian tank turrets on it, the biggest is off a T34/76 early version. The smaller ones are from the early Russian light tanks, also used as secondaries on the T28 & T35. That main turret is going to weigh a few tons... assuming it's real and not imaginary, I'd bet it's a local job, either captured in total, or using captured tank turrets.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

The White and Blue Russian Naval Ensign hanging off the mast is a good indication too.

Reply to
Willshak

Disco58 wrote

I think it's a Russian BKA 1125 (Bron Kater - armoured gunboat), part of the Soviet Danube fleet that took part in the capture of Vienna. e-bay indicates that AER made a 1/144 resin model.

You're going to have to find someone who reads Russian, but the basic layout of the boat looks very like the first diagram here :

; the text obviously mentions the T-34 and T-28 turrets, as Wulf pointed out. (there was also an 1124 which had T-34 fore and aft).

has plans, of a sort, as well as a history (also in Russian)

Some models seem to have had a Katyusha rack instead of the rear turret. There's a discussion of the Danube fleet at the Axis History forum

There's a short history of the BKA 1125 at
; boats of this type were very active during the siege of Stalingrad, which might make another interesting diorama.

The model is labelled Donaukanal Wien Donnerstag 12 April 1945 (Danube? Canal, Vienna, Thursday 12 April 1945); that seems to be the day the Soviets really started to push the Germans out of Vienna, which seems to fit with character in Soviet khaki showing off the trophy swastika flag to the boat crew in the diorama.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

Clearly Soviet - probably a Soviet armored river gunboat BKA 1124-type.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

I believe its a Soviet Bronekater BK 1125 - Mig Productions makes a kit - about $350 - VLS has it in their catalog.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Refreshing to see no one getting worked up about nude figures...

Reply to
Rufus

Ok, fine, it's Russian, oops! I saw the blue and white flag, but it really didn't tell me anything, I'm completely unfamiliar with Russian Naval flags. What I noticed, and made the assumption by, was the German flag being held by the guy on the quay. The guy in khakis didn't stir the gray matter either. I'm learning, it's a slow process. And as much as I may be interested, at $350 for a kit, I think I'll have to pass on this one. It is definitely a rather boat though. I certainly wouldn't want to get into a fight with it.

Reply to
Disco58

Not on a Russian river gunboat, no. A bit chilly around Murmansk for that sort of thing.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

That's 'cause its a Dutch (Netherlands) show.

Reply to
The Old Man

A number of excellent models on the site. Thanks for sharing.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Disco58 wrote: : : And as much as I may be : interested, at $350 for a kit, I think I'll have to pass on this one. It is : definitely a rather boat though. I certainly wouldn't want to get into a : fight with it. : There is an earlier Soviet(?) resin kit, and it is bad. Very bad. Brittle resin, lots of warpage. But, you can perhaps find them for $100.00 or so. The MIG kit is very, very nice.

As far as fighting them, the Sovs had to be careful as the hull was not armored. They were also armed with Katyusha, which means I am going to need a second MIG kit...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden