DIY Vacuum Actuator?

"Chet" fired this volley in news:A8ydnTe5WpBOxSrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:
With that size pipe, and depending upon the vaccum, it would be as much as (about) 26 pounds.
(probably less, since you aren't pulling down to 10^-8 Torr. )
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
"Chet" fired this volley in news:A8ydnTe5WpBOxSrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:
BTW, Chet,
The sock-type actuator doesn't have any force advantage over a diaphram type. The advantage is its essentially unlimited length of stroke.
Unlike a diaphram type, the throw of which usually cannot be more than an inch or so in practical versions, you could make a sock-type actuator with a two or three foot stroke just as easily as one with a 1" stroke.
That can help your avoiding cludging up stroke-amplifying (and force dividing) bell-cranks and other such devices to get the stroke of the cylinder to match the throw of your throttle linkage.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Lloyd,
Thank you for the additional info! It's appreciated!
Would you mind if I posted your info on another website,
I also asked for help on their Live Steam forum, but without getting a successful design like yours.
Needless to say, you'll get full credit for the design and info... (Think you'd want to modify your original drawing to show the reversed rod and vacuum input? If not, I'll post it as it is with the suggested changes.)
Chet
Reply to
Chet
"Chet" fired this volley in news:A_ednTJzTJW2dyrVnZ2dnUVZ_s snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:
reversed
message
suggested
Since it's embarrasing to miss that simple a problem -- YES, I'd like to re-do the drawing first...
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
"Chet" fired this volley in news:A_ednTJzTJW2dyrVnZ2dnUVZ_s snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:
I emailed you a corrected version, and put it back in the dropbox as "Sock-style_actuator_1.jpg"
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh