Do you ever hate being "that guy"?

When I worked as a machinist for a printing company, we always did our share of favors for people. Springtime brought lawnmowers and weed whackers, summer brought in motorcycle and boat parts, fall and winter brought plows and snowblowers. I usually didn't mind the occasional part I had to make or weld, since we all knew each other, and it usually resulted in a free soda and a thank you. I recall one guy who brought a spacer to me one day, for a dual blade lawnmower. Seems the one blade worked itself loose, and the spacer was launched to places unknown, so he needed a duplicate. Didn't get to it that night, as some scheduled job needed to be finished. The next day I made it to his specifications, and the day after, I made another, as his way didn't work. As I recall when I checked a few days after that, I found the part worked, but not only had he carried it in his lunchbox for three days, he had also previouly driven ten miles out of his way to go to the John Deere dealer and found that he didn't want to BUY the part, 'cause they wanted a whopping SIX BUCKS for it. I didn't even get a thank you or a soda. Some people are just way too cheap ... and since then I refuse to do freebies for people who can't perform a service that I may someday need.

Ron

Reply to
doo

he had also previouly driven ten

Good on ya', mate. What these suckers do is take the money out of your pocket and stick it in theirs. They don't give a damn what it costs, so long as they're not paying the tab. I'm more than happy to help a friend, or a total stranger, for that matter, but when they find that I can make a ¼-20 screw and expect me to do it instead of them buying it for a dime, I tend to get tight jaws.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos