Drill press

Well, I bought one. I found a Powermatic Model 1200 on Craig's list. 3 phase

1 HP motor, in good shape. It appears to have been built in 1971 by the Powermatic 1971 Anniversary stickers on it. It came with a hefty vice, a couple drill chucks, a funky T-slot clamp do-hicky. Only problem was the crank for the table height adjustment took a hit at some point so the the shaft is bent, and the speed control knobs are just bolts, (minor problem, are parts available??) Only one hole drilled into the table, no arc of shame! Paid $600 and a 8 hour round trip drive to pick it up. I think I did ok. You guys living in the manufacturing waste lands where tools can be bought for scrap price will probably think I paid too much, but I have been looking on and off for a heavy drill press for a couple years and this was the best deal I could find! Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000, when I first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any details and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him $1000 for it, but someone would have! Now I need to run a wire for a 240 volt outlet, and wire up my VFD. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

I have the same sort of drill press, made in 1974.

You can buy machine handles from McMaster, or round knobs.

Yep. Great tool for the price. I paid $275 for mine, but it came without a chuck (but with the speed adjusting handles)

Another lot from the same auction, that I paid $10 for, has a bunch of dirty grease guns, and something else that I sold for $262.

I think that you did OK.

Congrats. You will be very happy.

I set up mine for flood coolant and I am happy with the result, no more overheated ruined drills. I lessen the pressure on the quill to break long stringy chips into pieces, so that they do not throw coolant around.

Ignoramus10200

if that is the DP with the reeves drive, just use a static inverter and save the VFD for another application

Reply to
Bill Noble

Even here in that waste land of industrial gone-aways you got a nice machine.

Reply to
Buerste

Pictures when you are ready!!! if you need parts..I can turn you on to a good source.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Good on ya. You'll be happy for years to come. I almost emailed you with this little drill press in your area that is going for cheap:

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a free VFD already, and no other use for it. I would have to build a static converter. Yes on the Reeves drive. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

That one is a bit more than I need, but you better pick it up for a back up machine! ;-) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I will try get a couple pics tonight. Last night we pulled into the yard at midnight, and my neighbor/helper said it was too late to unload, and wire up the VFD, so he went to bed. Slacker! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It has a reserve and would be unlikely to sell.

Ignoramus2298

Yeah, what is it with these Craigslist sellers?

I was looking for a plow, or a plow truck, I found one listed at 1600, went out and looked at it, the control cables were shot, but supposedly 'on order' so I gave him my number and said, call me when they come in, and I'll buy, I just want to see it run. I called him a few days later to confirm, and the next day he drops the price to 1400... (The control cables were about $50)

He never did get the cables, but I worked out a great deal from him, and the plow now hangs on my 1 ton, waiting for a snowless winter.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

RoyJ

I've noticed the same. I think Craigslist is so easy to use and so cheap (free) to use that it encourages sloppy sellers. I used to pay $50 for a 3 line ad in the paper, you wanted to milk every caller for what it was worth. With Craigslist, if you lose a phone number, who cares. Just relist it a few days later. Of course, SWMBO is still on your case to move that (fine piece of machinery) out of here so the price goes down.

Reply to
RoyJ

I always lose interest, the instant I see a reserve price.

Ignoramus2298

for your machine, a static inverter requires only one capacitor and one relay - total cost under $10 - this leaves your VFD free for some other use

Reply to
Bill Noble

I feel like I am repeating myself! I have no other use for the VFD, and don't see anything coming in the future! Saves me the $10, and the time to produce something that I don't need! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

And you also get variable speed, dynamic braking, ability to add a reversing switch, timed acceleration, etc.

I installed a reversing drum switch on my DP and could not be happier.

Ignoramus2298

This guy that listed the drill press never listed the make, or model number. Even when I e-mailed he said he had no idea what it was. I know it was a Powermatic, but did no know if it was a 1150 or 1200. I was making arrangements to see it and his employee told me it was a 1200 I was getting a bit nervous! I bet someone would have paid $1000 for it if he had it listed properly! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:18:17 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus2298 scrawled the following:

Email for it. It's a hoot in most cases.

Especially when the reserve is 4x the worth of the item. I also love Buy-It-Nows with 6x retail prices.

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You bid on that?

Wes