Drill press column length adjustment

I just recently purchased a 17" benchtop drill press from a industrial supplier. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the distance from the spindle to the table is a max of 18" and I really need it to be 24" for me to do what I'm looking to drill. I talked to the supplier and there isn't much they can do. I can get a longer column sent but at a premium price where it'd be just as cheap to buy a new drill press of proper size. The column is 80 mm (3-1/8") OD. Can someone pass along some advice as to how I might go along with extending the column length so i don't need to scrap this drill press and shell out more money for a new one?

thanks,

Scott

Reply to
scoot1379

Can you simply remove the table and if so, is there at least 24.5" from base to spindle?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

One more quick idea... Not likely to work, but if you need a machine and you're not going to buy another, this might give some folks some ideas... Cut the column up near the drill press head (leave 2" or more) and make a split sleeve out of a larger pipe that can be clamped outside the column's OD. Use some good collars to squeeze the split pipe down on both ends...

I'd personally cut a single slot about 2" long in the end of the "extension pipe" on both ends and keep the rest of the pipe as solid as possible. I'd also use the thickest wall pipe I could find with the proper / appropriate ID dimension.

Alternately, you could do the same to the column and insert a solid bar inside to keep the overall OD of the column area smaller.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Got a lathe? Either turn a new column, or turn up an extension that will press into the existing column.

Reply to
Rex B

Easy. Make a longer column. If you can't, sell this one and buy a floor model.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote: : I just recently purchased a 17" benchtop drill press from a industrial : supplier. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the distance from the : spindle to the table is a max of 18" and I really need it to be 24" : for me to do what I'm looking to drill. I talked to the supplier and : there isn't much they can do. I can get a longer column sent but at a : premium price where it'd be just as cheap to buy a new drill press of : proper size. The column is 80 mm (3-1/8") OD. Can someone pass : along some advice as to how I might go along with extending the : column length so i don't need to scrap this drill press and shell out : more money for a new one?

GDay Scott, If your DP has a swiveling head, then why not mount it on a suitable bench and simply swivel the the head to the side or even the rear and drill whatever you need to drill that way??

You could possibly clamp the part to the bench or perhaps mount it in a vice on the floor, whatever works for you.

Cheers Andy

Reply to
trumpy81

Hey all,

Thanks for the great input, let me add a couple more details that may help describe my situation a bit more.

I am able to remove the table and that will give me more than enough room from the drill bit to the base to for the part, however, then with my jig and part, the bit is too far above it and the spindle distance can't make up for the difference. Unfortunately, there is no way to lower the head of the machine.

The designated workshop area of the house I am currently renting is not exactly the flattest, actually quite bad, so I bought a stand that has adjustable feet which I am using to level the drill press. For that reason, I would like to make the current setup with stand work if possible as opposed to swiveling the press and mounting my jig and part to another bench.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lathe, this is my first big piece of machinery I have bought, I only own hand power tools besides the drill press. I wouldn't mind making another column but since I don't have the means of doing so, don't know how I would go about doing it and if it's worth the money. Also, the column is flanged at the end all in one cast piece, so if I made a new column, I guess i would have to attach a new flange to it, again, I'm not very well versed on how to go about that but any ideas would be great.

I may end up selling this one and grabbing a floor model but was hoping to avoid that, hence the reason for the post.

Again, thanks for the ideas, I'm sure you guys can guide me towards how to achieve some of them..

Scott

Reply to
Scotty G.

You can do little stuff on a big drill press, but you can't do big stuff on a little drill press.

Buy the bigger one.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

At the risk of asking the obvious, can't you just place/clamp something under that jig which will raise the workpiece to a workable height?

Or did I just trip over a troll?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia