"easy life"

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...." Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in "excellant condition."

Aye

Aye carumba....

Chas Morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

...and the "independant paint contractor" painted the spindle nose and drawbar. And you can just use a converter to run a 460 Volt machine on

220. It's a steal.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I saw a shaper at an auction spray painted British racing green. The whole thing, ways and all.

Reply to
ATP*

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:05:15 -0500, the inscrutable axolotl spake:

"Gears" are free and found on trees, too.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's pretty cool!

Someone should archive those pictures !

Maybe we will be able to see rust spots through the paint when it relists... and relists... and relists....

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Looks like it spent a good part of its easy life as an outdoorsman rather than cooped up in some corner of dry shop being forced to spin cutters and such.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

And all the handwheels. At least it doesnt appear that he used a brush.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Yep! And I wonder about the "independent paint contractor". is this perhaps one whose normal contracts are painting houses? Certainly not someone who knows machine tools, anyway.

He also seems to have an interesting interpretation of the term "universal mill". :-)

And I think that 0.507" is out of range spec for most collets for use on 0.500". I wonder which style of collets it uses? R8? 5C? (With Hardinge, I might consider the 5C to be likely.) Certainly not a Morse 2 and probably not a Morse 3 if one will hold 3/4".

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

LOL. That's good. My first thought was that it was stored in a salt mine.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Now this machine is a great example to ask how others feel about some machines on eBay. Personally, I won't bid on a machine that has been sloppily repainted (look carefully at the data plate). For one, it hides the true condition of the machine. For two, if the paint job is that sloppy I seriously doubt any effort was made to prepare the old surface, so the new paint (probably cheapest available) is likely to start coming off real soon after it arrives.

How does everyone else feel about used machines being repainted prior to sale?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:22:57 GMT, the inscrutable "SteveF" spake:

Half during shipping. That thing was CRUSTY!

I don't think I'd buy one unless they could prove the actual condition prior to paint, and like this one, that's usually obvious anyway. It's akin to stopping by a used car lot and popping the hood only to find a layer of shiny new clearcoat over EVERYTHING, including the hoses and some of the dirt which didn't powerwash off. The hoses will quickly rot after that.

Pass.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

An expert I am not, but I wouldn't repaint a machine unless it's part of a total rebuild. There's a whole lot you can do to just clean stuff up. Here's a good listing to contrast the above mess:

Some of the paint is chipping off, but it looks original, the machine has been cleaned up, and his written listing shows that he cares. The out-of-focus photos will cost him, but he wants you to come by and run it so it makes me want to drive up to New England...

Chas Morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

I have an old Van Norman #12 Mill with the origional "WAR FINISH" still on it (WWII). Besides a few chips here and there, it still looks pretty good. I'd be disapointed it if were painted, not only for the loss of its historical standpoint, but also it's supposed to look "used"!

Reply to
bigiron