ebay practices (I was bidding on a lathe)

I can't say when it started, but I noticed it back in early December.

EBay had the right model years ago, and been degrading it ever since over a false model of "security". Anonymizing bidders on high-value auctions is the latest in a series of such stupid moves. Earlier ones include destroying user id's that were email addresses, making you log in every day, and bloating every single blasted page with Java/Ajax/advertising.
Bless Google for their original simple HTML model.

I don't see any ads - except for a small 1/2 inch box near the top. I'm using FireFox with AdBlock Plus.