Electrical Power In Ghana

I am in the preliminary stages of designing a couple of machines that will be exported to Ghana. Does anybody on the list know (from first hand experience) what the electrical power system is in Ghana? Things like voltage, cycles, single or three phase?

I will be getting information when my partner returns from there in about 10 days, but I'd like to do some preliminary work on this project before he returns.

Thank in advance Greg Postma

Reply to
Greg Postma

See:

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Per

&
&
(ie not first hand) Ghana has 220-230VAC 50 Hz. The pages disagree on which connectors apply. My first-hand experience in Cuba and India was that (1) the advertised voltage (220-240) usually was available all over, but some hotels or some hotel rooms also had 110VAC; (2) the connector charts may be wrong depending on where you are in the country; and (3) "110 volt"-looking outlets often have 220V on them in Cuba and India.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Jim and Gerry,

Thanks for your quick replies. I had an idea that they use 220V 50Hz power, but wasn't sure. Now I can get some work design done. I will definitely bookmark the sites you recommended for future use. Thanks again.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma

In Ghana the "nominal" voltage is 230, and the "nominal" frequency is

50 - but you can count on 10% variance in both on a regular basis. As for connectors, MOST will be British style, but you will find virtually every connector scheme you can imagine, and many you've never thought about.

The situation was the same in Zambia when I was there in the early seventies, and in Burkina Faso 3 years ago - with the exception that Burkina used Euro style plugs as what might pass as a "standard", and had a wider variation in actual plugs used/sold/found.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce