Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

    [ ... ]

    If this was eBay -- now that it is won, could you post the URL (or preferably auction number) for the auction so we can take a look at it? I could at least tell you something of what might be missing -- or what you might want to look for. My experience is more with the CNC version, but I've learned about a lot of the accessories in picking up more things for my CNC lathe.
    Not as sure of the Mill adaptor -- though I have one of the mill heads on a separate X-Y base to make it a standalone mill. (The column mounting bracket has the wrong screw pattern to fit the holes on the back of the lathe bed, so I have never used it under CNC control.
    Best of luck,         DoN.

Don,

I'd be both honored and grateful for you to take a peek. Here are
Vernon wrote:

No tooling shown in the picture, hopefully some will be with it when you pick it up. At that price I think you did OK. One of those milling attachments alone sold for over $500 on ebay a few weeks ago.

Pretty good deal on that mill-drill
    [ ... ]

    Well ... not accordion -- just concertina (and tinwhistle). Which style of concertina did you try? Probably an Anglo style ((loke a couple of harmonicas in two different keys broken in half wit the low end going up the left hand side and the high end going down the right hand side, so if you turned both hands palms down (and the bellows was long enough to allow this), you could see the buttons form a row per harmonica. Anyway -- this style gives a different note on press vs draw for each button. If you play the Piano Accordion, you could probably play the English system concertina fairly well too.
    The English system is what I play.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I thought all concertinas were diatonic until reading your post. I
had one for a time I bought on ebay but never got the hang of it so I
    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    My brain's wiring does not fit the diatonics, either. The English system is fully chromatic, typically 3-1/2 octaves (from G below middle C to C three octaves above middle C). This is the range of the Treble English. My preference is a Tenor-Treble -- starts a half octave below that at the C below middle C and goes up as far as the Treble does.
    All notes on the left hand are on the lines of the staff, and all on the right hand are on the spaces, so a run alternates hands. (It does make it easier to pick up playing from sheet music, as does the nice mapping of the physical position of the buttons to the lines and spaces. There are some duplications in the accidentals, such as D# and Eb -- on opposite hands.

    Those who can -- especially coming from the harmonica -- seem to tie the bellows travel to their breathing patterns. :-)

    Hmm ... does he happen to have one (or more) of the Copeland tin whistles? Expensive, but worth it.
    Perhaps we should drop to e-mail for this, as we are well off topic for the newsgroup. :-)
    Or -- we could move to rec.music.makers.squeezebox. :-)
    Please avoid HTML and attachments when e-mailing to me.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Well, back on topic. I got home with the lathe / mill today. I'm
delighted to report that it was sitting on a little rubbermaid 5

Just like Christmas isn't it? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Unless your VFD is very unusual, it was designed to run on 3 phase power, but will run on single phase with some derating. You're planning on connecting it to single phase, which means one of the VFD's power inputs will be unconnected -- a 100% imbalance -- and a reactor isn't going to help that situation.
I've purchased line reactors from these folks, you may find useful information in their technical articles. http://www.transcoil.com /
--
Ned Simmons

Ned,
Thanks for the clarification. I'm doing mortal battle with my own ineptitude at things electrical.
Vernon
Vernon wrote:

Good for you!! that probably will double the value of the machine. If you don't have the full set of manuals and repair guides, email me and I'll send them.

Well, "baby" went to a good home. I'm sure there were tears shed and promises to keep in touch ;)

Very good. Wish there was one around here.
    [ ... all snipped ... ]

    Indeed so. Were you able to convince her that it was going to a good home?

    That depends. If you have AM radios in the house, or TVs still receiving over-the-air signals, the (RF) noise could be a problem.
    But the "3% balance" problem only applies when you are driving it from three phase. Out-of-balance puts most of the current though two sets of diodes in the three phase bridge which could cause overheating at full output. You are derating it somewhat to use from single phase, so no problem there.
    You are only connecting to the two 240 lines, not to the neutral (though you should have the safety ground connected).

    It would be interpreted as "input voltage too low", and it would just switch itself off.

    My goodness -- that is as old as I am. I was "published" the same year. :-)

    There is a set of training manuals for the machine in a yellow three-ring binder labeled "Basis" IIRC. It is oriented towards the early instruction set, but the later instructions are covered in an appendix.
    Best of luck,         DoN.

Don,

Thanks for those very on-point clarifications. I hadn't thought about
Vernon wrote: I hope we can

Vernon, I have most of the documentation for that lathe in PDF format. Email me offline and I'll send you all I have.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.
On Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 7:38:37 PM UTC-7, Vernon wrote:

ote:

or the as the if ll

ld you post the URL

-- or NC

have one of the mill olumn

(703) 938-4564 d-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html is dividing by zero ---

hello sir, do you know a compatible xy table for the emco 5 milling attach ment?

    Really a long time ago. Looks like 11 years ago. I don't remember whether I saw that posting or not, but Dovebid does not seem to show by those URLs now.

    The only one which I know was the table (made by Emco) which was part of the C5 mill (pretty much the same milling head and column as went on the back of the bed of the Compact-5?CNC lathe (and presumably the manual version, too.)
    A quick search of eBay shows two of the milling columns and heads, one on a Compact-5 lathe, and one without any kind of table.
    eBay auction # 391401826341 is the stand-alone, and the part on the right-hand end of the column in the first photo might be the one which fits on the back of the Compact-5 lathe bed, or it might be the one which fits on the back of the X-Y table of the C5 mill. No way to tell from the photo, but I can testify that the hole pattern which fits the back of the X-Y table does not match that on the back of the Compact-5/CNC lathe bed, so I could not play with using the Compact-5/CNC lathe as a CNC mill (unless of course I made a new mounting block to fit.)
    And *this* one # 132306365029 is the Compact-5 manual lathe, with the milling column and head on the back of the lathe bed. Hmm ... lots of tape on the belt access door on the milling head. Normal height column (the other claimed to be extra-long) and a scary BIN price.
    No examples of the head and column with the X-Y table, sorry.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Vernon wrote:

This ebay seller has the most complete listing of accessories for the Emco 5s. He is in England but he ships here for reasonable rates.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/barnackuk_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Thanks. Since hope springs ever eternal I continue to daydream that I will pick up the lathe in my arms and need a forklift to load the accessories. As soon as reality sticks its ugly beak into my fantasy I will definitely be searching for accessories.
Vernon
Vernon wrote:

If so, keep an eye on this other auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item20304826587&mfe=sidebar
Most of this stuff will fit your Emco, and whoever buys it will be looking to piece it out. Wish I could afford to buy it, there's a fortune here.

Holy smokes. So THAT'S where all my accessories went!
Thanks for the heads-up. I will be watching the auction.
I still haven't heard from the auctioneers so as to schedule a pick-up time and day.