Emco Compact 5 lathe / mill

564
Reply to
Vernon

No tooling shown in the picture, hopefully some will be with it when you pick it up. At that price I think you did OK. One of those milling attachments alone sold for over $500 on ebay a few weeks ago.

Pretty good deal on that mill-drill

Reply to
RB

This ebay seller has the most complete listing of accessories for the Emco 5s. He is in England but he ships here for reasonable rates.

RB

Thanks. Since hope springs ever eternal I continue to daydream that I will pick up the lathe in my arms and need a forklift to load the accessories. As soon as reality sticks its ugly beak into my fantasy I will definitely be searching for accessories.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

If so, keep an eye on this other auction:

Most of this stuff will fit your Emco, and whoever buys it will be looking to piece it out. Wish I could afford to buy it, there's a fortune here.

Reply to
RB

============ Be reminded that in many cases it is possible to make the desired accessory. These can be enjoyable and educational projects in and of themselves. For example see

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Holy smokes. So THAT'S where all my accessories went!

Thanks for the heads-up. I will be watching the auction.

I still haven't heard from the auctioneers so as to schedule a pick-up time and day.

Vernon

Unka' George. Your link was inspiring. My son Mark inherited his mechanical genius from his mom. Seriously. I have made inquiries to get them into a manual machining course come next January at a community college on the outskirts of Houston. I can hardly wait to see them start down this fascinating path to discovery. V

Reply to
Vernon

Great! His first auction (#280262335339) is for the change gear set which you may need (unless there is stuff which comes with it not shown in the auction picture).

Lots of other good things there too -- just make sure that you focus on things for the Compact-5, as there are others being sold there too.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Actually while a lot of it will fit a Compact-5/CNC, only a few things will fit the manual version of the Compact-5 which is what he has. Granted, some of them are things which he needs, but there is a lot of stuff which won't do him any good -- unless he gets a Compact-5/CNC later.

But if he *does* -- in particular that maintenance manual will be a Godsend, and a lot of the other stuff will be quite useful too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Blue Ridge Machinery has Emco parts. I have a Compact 8 and have purchased from them without problems, although not in the past two years or so.

David

Reply to
David Kazdan

[ ... ]

Well ... not accordion -- just concertina (and tinwhistle). Which style of concertina did you try? Probably an Anglo style ((loke a couple of harmonicas in two different keys broken in half wit the low end going up the left hand side and the high end going down the right hand side, so if you turned both hands palms down (and the bellows was long enough to allow this), you could see the buttons form a row per harmonica. Anyway -- this style gives a different note on press vs draw for each button. If you play the Piano Accordion, you could probably play the English system concertina fairly well too.

The English system is what I play.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

564
Reply to
Vernon
[ ... ]

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

My brain's wiring does not fit the diatonics, either. The English system is fully chromatic, typically 3-1/2 octaves (from G below middle C to C three octaves above middle C). This is the range of the Treble English. My preference is a Tenor-Treble -- starts a half octave below that at the C below middle C and goes up as far as the Treble does.

All notes on the left hand are on the lines of the staff, and all on the right hand are on the spaces, so a run alternates hands. (It does make it easier to pick up playing from sheet music, as does the nice mapping of the physical position of the buttons to the lines and spaces. There are some duplications in the accidentals, such as D# and Eb -- on opposite hands.

Those who can -- especially coming from the harmonica -- seem to tie the bellows travel to their breathing patterns. :-)

Hmm ... does he happen to have one (or more) of the Copeland tin whistles? Expensive, but worth it.

Perhaps we should drop to e-mail for this, as we are well off topic for the newsgroup. :-)

Or -- we could move to rec.music.makers.squeezebox. :-)

Please avoid HTML and attachments when e-mailing to me.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

ever could get the "innie

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 We're also

564
Reply to
Vernon

Just like Christmas isn't it? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Unless your VFD is very unusual, it was designed to run on 3 phase power, but will run on single phase with some derating. You're planning on connecting it to single phase, which means one of the VFD's power inputs will be unconnected -- a 100% imbalance -- and a reactor isn't going to help that situation.

I've purchased line reactors from these folks, you may find useful information in their technical articles.

Ned Simmons

Ned,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm doing mortal battle with my own ineptitude at things electrical.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

Good for you!! that probably will double the value of the machine. If you don't have the full set of manuals and repair guides, email me and I'll send them.

Well, "baby" went to a good home. I'm sure there were tears shed and promises to keep in touch ;)

Very good. Wish there was one around here.

Reply to
RB
[ ... all snipped ... ]

This is for the lathe? Can you post some photos of it -- to the dropbox if you don't have your own web page available. I can't receive photos as attachments -- thanks to a size limit which keeps viruses out of some small mailing lists which I run.

Indeed so. Were you able to convince her that it was going to a good home?

That depends. If you have AM radios in the house, or TVs still receiving over-the-air signals, the (RF) noise could be a problem.

But the "3% balance" problem only applies when you are driving it from three phase. Out-of-balance puts most of the current though two sets of diodes in the three phase bridge which could cause overheating at full output. You are derating it somewhat to use from single phase, so no problem there.

You are only connecting to the two 240 lines, not to the neutral (though you should have the safety ground connected).

It would be interpreted as "input voltage too low", and it would just switch itself off.

My goodness -- that is as old as I am. I was "published" the same year. :-)

There is a set of training manuals for the machine in a yellow three-ring binder labeled "Basis" IIRC. It is oriented towards the early instruction set, but the later instructions are covered in an appendix.

Best of luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols