Emerold Ash Borer

Emerald Ash Borer is in the news again. Looks like I got a year or two but this pest is coming to MN. We have a couple high value ash trees.

Anyway, I spent some time investigating. Trunk injections of insecticide are the way to go. Because I have a restricted use pesticide applicator's license, the product can be purchased inexpensively.

The trunk injector system is a different matter. They ask way to much $ for what you're getting. I'll look at building my own but buy the injector plugs:

Just curious, anybody else already done this?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Nope - not involved in tree injection.

I live in Metro Detroit - ground zero for the Ash Borer is about 20 miles to the west of me. We purchased and planted an ash tree just before the issue became big news locally (years before the borer was identified) and the nurserys quit selling ash trees. I treat my tree every spring with BayerAdvanced Tree & Shrub - a systemic insecticide, diluted and poured on the ground around the base of the tree. So far so good but from what I understand, the borer does not tend to attack young trees.

I would get on the preventative program before they are in your neighborhood or else your tree could be toast before you realize it (yes, I realize that you are in the farming/orchard business). The borer drills a "D" shaped hole thru the bark, hole is about 1/8 inch in dia.

Reply to
aribert

I spent quite a bit of time reading research reports last night... Bottom line, results with soil drench insecticide is variable with best results on small trees. Direct injection puts more systemic insecticide on target with dramatically better results on large trees. I got a big tree directly south of my home about twenty feet from the door. Shades the house all day. I'd really hate to lose this guy.

Karl

I live in Metro Detroit - ground zero for the Ash Borer is about 20 miles to the west of me. We purchased and planted an ash tree just before the issue became big news locally (years before the borer was identified) and the nurserys quit selling ash trees. I treat my tree every spring with BayerAdvanced Tree & Shrub - a systemic insecticide, diluted and poured on the ground around the base of the tree. So far so good but from what I understand, the borer does not tend to attack young trees.

I would get on the preventative program before they are in your neighborhood or else your tree could be toast before you realize it (yes, I realize that you are in the farming/orchard business). The borer drills a "D" shaped hole thru the bark, hole is about 1/8 inch in dia.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

We've been using the "Bayer Advanced" treatment for two years... but the directions say that it can take several seasons to fully treat a large tree. I suppose with a large tree, it might be too late by the time the solution reaches the area where it's needed.

Reply to
David Courtney