Evapo-Rust available at HF

I've been very happy with it as well. It works as described, and I've never had it attack anything. If you can't compeltely cover something & leave it in for a long time, you can get discoloration at the air interface, but I've never had any corrosion or pitting.

One trick I learned for large objects is to soak a piece of synthetic chamois cloth ("super towels"), or a sponge in it, and then lash it to the rusted surface for a while. I've managed to remove a lot of rust thsi way from a sheet metal shear that I don't want to disassemble.

I'm glad to hear it's becoming more widely available. That should help to bring the cost down & I won't have to pay shipping on the next batch.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

That gives me some confidence. I got a bottle of the stuff sitting on a shelf. I bought it because the KrudCutter Must-for-rust is so irritating (albeit effective at rust removal). Take one whiff of the stuff even with a good mask and I am congested for the rest of the day.

I did a lot of googling about rust removal and Evaporust came recommended. It is also available from Canadian Tire and Lee Valley (the latter is somewhat of a recommendation in itself).

Today I scored a bunch of assorted fasteners in a garage sale, many of them heavily rusted so I am going to see how good Evaporust really is :-)

Reply to
Michael Koblic

It does remove some paints. The blue paint on an old AA minilathe doesn't hold up to it, but it's probably the cheapest water-soluble stuff available in the 1930s. Seems more akin to whitewash.

At the other end of the scale, it attacked the paint of an Emco 8.6 tailstock, which really surprised me. But I did emerse the entire tailstock, with good results. And the Evaporust was very black when I put it in. That particular gallon left with the new owner of the lathe.

Another option for large objects that are not readily submersible: Get a tabletop fountain pump from HD or a craft store. Pump the fluid over the rusted area so that it runs back down into your tub of Evaporust, where the pump is submerged. It washes the rust off.

Reply to
RB

McMaster Carr

10215K13 4 oz 8.47 10215K15 16 oz 16.74

I'll try it on a few things I really care about.

Wes

Reply to
Wes