fa: magnetic particle brake

this type of brake is used if you want a smoothly adjustable drag (torque), if you need such a thing, I suspect this one will go for a lot less than
new - it came off a working machine, and I've tested it. here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item00040795873
--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

I've had occasion to use a magnetic particle slip clutch, which works on the same principle. I used it to control tension on a web. It worked very well.
Pete Keillor
Bill, I wish that I had some use for this thing, it seems very nice!
i your past customer

I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

think of controlling the tension on a wire that is de-spooling - you can measrue the tension with a roller pushing on a length of the wire between two other rollers - connect a variable resistance to the shaft on which the middle roller pivots, use the varying resistance to adjust the torque of the brake via voltage variable power supply
this has got to be a gazillion dollar item, and I've listed it at .0000001gazillion dollars ..... :-)

William Noble wrote:

Bill Lear used them on his L2 autopilot system back in the 50's. He used them as clutches which were operated with electron tubes for cw ccw output from a high rpm motor. The system was very smooth but the drive motors were a problem since they ran continiously.
John