Finding Trades in One's Area

I had that feeling that I'd have to go postal. Seems that I can't find a powder coating business within driving distance. Is there some way that I'm missing to find businesses in my local?

Looks like it is going to be as local as possible and fedx/ups with lots of emails or well planed trips to the big big small city. If it has to be ship back and forth stuff, does it much matter on distance if it is say 20 pounds? You know, I could almost ship it back and forth from Hell A to Mississippi as well as across the state type of thing.

What are the top online places for buying all kinds of parts for building things? And ways to find places close.

In a big city I can find some of the things like scrap aluminum chunks and stores with springs and cool fasteners, but in the sticks I can't seem to find much at all.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

What are you talking about? Powdercoating companies are all over the place in the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas; why, you can't go anywhere in Alaska without being within 700 miles of five or six powdercoat companies.

Do you have lots of small items to be done, a few large parts, or what? Can you do them yourself? Will they fit into USPS flat rate priority mail cartons? If not, at least for USPS parcel post, distance makes a big difference. Eg, 20# parcel post from 99501 Anchorage to 90101 LA is $25.50 and 12 days, vs $14.50 and 3 days to 99701 Fairbanks.

Ask a few dozen local people who to ask about those things, then ask the people they mention, etc. You might come across some local small manufacturers you've never heard of, or might find someone who frequently travels to town who can be a courier. What zip code are you in, anyway?

As notes, Alaska hasn't got much of a manufacturing base; which means few industrial-oriented stores, little surplus, etc. except maybe near military bases or pipeline depots or snowmobile shops.

Reply to
James Waldby

If you can't find them, call someone that uses them. Any good machine shop should know all the good and bad powdercoat shops.

Sunworshipper wrote:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Alaska, your just tring to make me feel better.

Ok, so keep it fairly close. All kinds of sizes and shapes.

I've been tring to do it the ole fashon way, maybe I should carry around a map so people can point to the unfamiliar towns for me.

I need all kinds of things, its just that the first 5 attemps are pulling up places out of business. Doing it myself maybe an option, just a bit aprehensive about getting it right the first time. If not I'll have to sand blast and start over. Best to take it somewhere where it will come out perfect the first time.

Reply to
Sunworshipper