FS: 6006 Auto Crane

Anyone have a use for a 6006E Auto Crane? Seventeen foot boom, all electric, 6000#. 12 or 24 volt. South of Fort Worth, TX. The model has been discontinued but parts are still available and the manual can be downloaded here

The replacement model is hydraulic 6006H or EH.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I have a use for one, and I'm not far away, however without a price I have no idea if it would fit my limited budget.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:04:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

Ooh, for a neat toy like that, one could make a budget!

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about I ask $750, you offer $500 and we settle on $625? We can discuss it. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

That sounds like it might fit my limited budget :)

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's a nice crane at a good price.

Ignoramus15927

If it was smaller I'd jump in a heart beat at that price. I just can't figure out how to fit it on my truck. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Cook

What's too big? With your abilities/capabilities, you could shorten the boom. :)

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

The manual lists part numbers for conversion kits to the different optional boom sizes and types.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

True. As it is I think it might be a bit of overkill for my 3/4 ton welding truck. :-)

I guess if nobody else takes it I first I can do something with it.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I gotta wonder if the Work Ready Truck picture on the Autocrane website is a photoshop installation, or a real just-for-looks installation.

The add-on outriggers and controls look normal, but it appears as though the crane is mounted on a friggen toolbox/storage cabinet ferchristesakes

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

That's normal. There's a lot of structure that's been added inside the box under the crane. Makes that part of the toolbox a lot less useful.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

The position of the crane referenced earlier sure looks purty (important) mounted at the rear corner, but I'd have a difficult time trying to decide why I'd mount the crane like that.

Andy's crane has a 6000 lb capacity and a 17 ft reach. I'd be inclined to fabricate an elevated pedestal to mount centered behind the cab, and tied to the frame, more like a wrecker boom in appearance. This wouldn't be much of an impairment to maximum reach, as it's on wheels, after all.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

I think most of the time it is mounted on the rear corner so the boom can be stowed in a cradle on the headache.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yep, it seems as though it's the most common method. I happened to spot some new trucks in a dealer's lot yesterday, and the cranes were mounted the same way.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

I understand your concern and yes it would be better if mounted centered for several reasons. If I was to mount it on my truck I'd be forced to put it there.

There's also several reasons that mounting it on the corner is better. The main reason is that it's not in the way of the payload. These cranes are mostly used on service vehicles (at least around here). There's no way of knowing what kind of load a truck like this will be carrying. Consider that the truck that Andy's crane will usually be mounted on is going to be a large (like about the size of large moving truck) size chassis with tool box large. Those trucks are used for servicing large equipment. Like road construction equipment or large compressor equipment (the most common around here). We're talking about pistons 12" dia or larger on compressors run by huge engines. Everything is big and it takes a big truck and crane to work on them.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Yep, I had considered the negative effect on the payload area (for center-mounting the crane), and you're right.. it would be a limitation. Really large components would require a trailer, but the Autocrane Work Ready Truck doesn't appear to have a hitch for pulling a trailer, so a different truck would be needed for trailering a large load.

Most of the trucks in that size/class that I see around here are for the electric utility company, and common loads are big spools or transformers.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill

I see hitches used on utility trucks more than I see them used on service trucks (though most do have a receiver back there).

This is natural gas country and there's a lot of really big compressors to pump it into the pipelines. Thus I see more of those than any other. The electric company trucks usually don't have a autocrane but rather a man lift with hoisting capabilities (and those are nearly always mounted in the center).

Reply to
Wayne Cook