FS: Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175

I am hesitant to post this on an international usenet group since it is highly unlikely that anyone outside my area would be interested, however, I want to give our group members first crack at this before I put it in the local paper.

For Sale:

Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 complete with LA-9 TIG torch, Foot Amptrol remote current control, stick electrode holder, Victor gas pressure regulator/flow gauge, and a somewhat cheesy but very practical home made cart that holds the welder and an argon cylinder. I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and am asking Cdn$ 1200.

I am selling it because I bought a Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185 TSW, primarily for the portability, and would encourage any prospective buyers to do the same if they can afford the Cdn$2333 landed cost.

Harold Kroeker Winnipeg

Reply to
harold.kroeker

Hi Harold:

I'm a fellow Canuck but I'm afraid I don't have the power to run a unit such as the Lincoln and am looking for an inverter unit - specifically interested in the one you just got.

Would you mind telling me what duty you paid for the TA185TSW? Sounds like you paid PST & GST at the border but not much duty. Also - what shipping method and vendor did you use. I have been looking at the TA for a while, but have been fretting about the amount of duty and brokerage fees. Your information would certainly assist me in making a better informed decision about buying one and bringing it in from the US.

Thanks for whatever you can let me know.

Jerry

Reply to
bc12_rider

I tried to buy the Thermal Arc 185TSW from my local Thermal Arc dealer in Winnipeg but he was unable to get one because it does not have CSA approval. I ended up ordering it from the Indiana Oxygen Company

for US$1630 plus US$56 for UPS ground shipping. I clear all of my own packages through customs so there were no brokerage fees. I paid customs 7% pst and 7% gst for a total of C$272.90 and there was no duty on the welder or the included accessories. IOC was a treat to deal with and were very comfortable with shipping goods to Canada. I ordered the welder on Aug 24th and received it on Aug 30th.

The power requirements for the two welders are quite diffrent but both have a NEMA 6-50 230V 50A welding plug. The 185TSW draws a maximum of

38A in stick mode and 29A in Tig mode. The SW175 draws maximum 54A in AC/DC stick and DC tig mode and 71A in AC Tig mode. On the other hand, I ran my SW175 off of a 40A range circuit for a few years and never tripped the breaker.

I hope this helps. Harold

Reply to
harold.kroeker

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Reply to
bc12_rider

Harold, I also live in Canada. How do you clear your own UPS packages through customs. I'm curious to how you let UPS know that your clearing the item yourself and what the process is?

BTW I ordered a plasma cutter from IOC a year ago and Bill with IOC was great to deal with. I just sold my Heliarc machine so I planning to phone IOC up after weekend and order 185TSW. The boss won't let me order the machine before I got rid of my old one.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Y.

To start clearing my own packages through UPS I had to send a fax to the UPS Data Maintenance department stating that I wanted to do so. As I understand it, when a package from a foreign country arrives at UPS they key the receiver's name to see if they have their own customs broker. I my case, the computer tells them that I clear my own parcels. I get a phone call telling me that I have a parcel to clear, then I drive to the UPS office, which is separate from the processing facility, and pick up the documentation associated with the shipment. I then drive to the Canada Customs office, give them the paperwork and pay any duties and taxes owing. They stamp the UPS form which I then take to the processing facility and pick up my parcel. I suggest that you call UPS and make sure that this option is available where you live and to get the current fax number.

When you consider the time and gas used driving around to clear your own parcels, the brokerage fees are not unreasonable. It just so happens that in Winnipeg the Canada Customs office is only a few blocks from UPS so it works out to be cost effective for me.

Harold

Kev> Harold, I also live in Canada. How do you clear your own UPS packages

Reply to
harold.kroeker

Thanks, Harold.

Reply to