Funny new book - "CrapCars"

Not to mention that it won the World Manufacturer's Championship (Formula 1) in 1966 and 1967, in a Brabham. In the then-new 3-liter formula, it made something like 350 hp. 'Beat the Ferraris, Lotus-Climaxes, etc. However, don't ask what those Ferrari and Climax engines were. They were old junk or 1.5-liter engines from the previous formula. Many of the Climaxes were

2.5-liter four-cyl. engines built originally for the Tasman series.

I'm sorry I didn't read this thread, but did anyone mention that American Motors owned this engine for a short time? GM sold it to them, and it was used in the Jeep Wagoneer for one year or maybe two, IIRC. AMC couldn't afford it and it wound up back in GM's lap -- the tooling, that is. And GM then sold it to Rover. GM decided it was too expensive to build for the cars they were putting it in, and Buick dredged up their c.i. V6 truck engine to replace it. That was *before* they figured out how to offset the crank throws. It vibrated like hell.

With the old GM diesel-truck turbo, the same one used in the Corvair Monza Spyder. I made a few bucks back then wrapping the exhausts in insulation and aluminum foil. In a Spyder, you'd get 10-15 more hp. I'd do the "conversion" for $25. Today, $250. d8-)

The (ribbed steel) sleeves were OK except they were too thin, and they'd flex if you tried to get any decent horsepower out of them. Revco made a nice, thick press-in iron sleeve for it, to go in their SOHC Formula 1 engines.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The "R" in "BOPR" stands for "Rover" as in "Range Rover", under the hood of each (at least up until 2002 or so) you will find one of these engines.

That's one route, or you could get a brand new one. They're still in production in the UK.

Reply to
J. Clarke