Golf Ball Lever Knobs!

Many months ago someone mentioned that golf balls made good knobs for machine tools. I filed that bit of info for future use. Well today was the future. My drill press needed knobs, so I chucked up some golf balls, drilled and tapped them.

They are great. Much better than the original. I may have to find some more balls for my other machines. ;^)

Thanks to who ever passed on that tid bit.

Jay Cups

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Sounds to me like your machines need balls.

This is in the same league as a posting I did some years back when I wanted to know where I could get felt! :-)ooo


JayCups wrote:

Reply to

I've got about 10 gallons. Send me your snailmail address, cover shipping (say 8 bucks) and I'll fill a flat rate box full of 'em for ya.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah, I've heard that flying GWB ninjas planned 9/11 also. But, having cut and drilled quite a few golfballs, I've found 2 varieties. 1, the "2 piece" which seems to be "homogeneous mass run through a press which hardens the outside and leaves the middle marshmallow-like", and 2, "wound, meaning rubber bands twisted around themselves with a shell around it". Never seen this pressurized center, in a few dozen golfballs. I do remember that story from when I was in grade school in the 70's though.

Ahhh, very nice for lathe file handles. Thank you.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've heard that golf balls with liquid centers explode when the drill bit hits the center. Wear safety glasses.

I have a few files with golf ball handles. They work well there too.


Reply to
Grant Erwin

Are not golf balls rubber bands and maybe with steel, or rubber with acid center ball ?


Mart> >> Many months ago someone mentioned that golf balls made good knobs for

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Never seen steel or an acid (or other liquid) center ball.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The last one the golfers pitched over the road and the squirrels investigated to see if it was a nut was solid plastic all the way through (white outside, then blue, then orange.) Old balls (circa

1970's/80's) were rubber bands, and we used to unwrap them for the ball in the middle.

A tiny web search indicates that liquid centers are salt water and corn syrup, not acid.

Reply to

A long while back....

Used to cut open a lot of golf balls.

Three basic types that I found.

-Rubber band wound hard rubber core. (these were the target golf balls, as the hard core bounced like a superbal)

-Hard all the way through.

-Rubber band wound around a rubber ball full of mineral oil. (These didna bounce so good)

There are probably others.

The oil filled ones ARE at a pretty good pressure. Stands to reason, too, if you look at the rubber bands wound tight around the core.

Seems to me I recall reading somewhere that they were just mineral oil filled. Harmless if ingested at low velocity, though will be excreted rather faster.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I've been wondering about that. Back when I was kid, cadying, there were definately "liquid center" golf balls. Don't remember the brand but it WAS on the order of 60 yrs ago. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Greatest file handles in the world. Watch out for the liquid centers, or at least be prepared for them. Place on the handle end of a single jack type heavy hammer and use a piece of shrink tube that grabs the ball and the full length of the hammer. That knob created by the golf ball will keep your sweaty hand from losing the stake hammer. I tried it on one of our hammers and it has become the hammer of choice for all.

Reply to

Tytlist?tilyst? Titlist? whatever still makes liquid filled balls - Dunlop too I believe. Now filled with corn syrup and salt water. Used to have a bromine sulfate/sulfide or something in back in the sixties that was rather nasty to the eyes from what I remember reading on the subject some time ago. The liquid filling was for better controp - something about damping and backspin.

Reply to
clare at

Some have liquid centers.


Reply to

Indeed. Works very well.


Reply to

The golf balls that I took apart as a kid had a rubber ball at the core, about a zillion feet of fine rubber band wrapping, then the plastic, dimpled outer skin.

I can't see how you could drill and tap that.

How are they made now?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I've used billiard balls.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Can't beat the classic 8-ball shifter.


Reply to

knobs for

...mmm ... I thought golf balls were made from a very long thin elastic cord wrapped into a sphere under tension round a central ball bladder and then given a dimpled skin - I suppose modern ones are solid now are they ?


Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A very small number are still like that, I guess. Those are the same ones I recall from when I took an interest in disassembling the things myself - which has passed with age. Many/most are basically solid plastic - a local squirrel got really determined to find the nut inside this weird white husk, and literally gnawed half a ball away, revealing (for that ball, don't recall what brand / model) 3 different colors/layers of basically hard plastic (not very rubbery).

For file handles, the wrapped type was fine, too.

Reply to

There are basically two types of golf balls. The million feet of rubber band ones. Titelist is one of the major makers of this type felt by most pros to be the most responsive, and "two piece" balls that consist of a core of rubber like material and a cover. No windings.

The latter type probably make the best knobs.....

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.