Golf Ball Lever Knobs!

Many months ago someone mentioned that golf balls made good knobs for machine tools. I filed that bit of info for future use. Well today was
the future. My drill press needed knobs, so I chucked up some golf balls, drilled and tapped them.
They are great. Much better than the original. I may have to find some more balls for my other machines. ;^)
Thanks to who ever passed on that tid bit.
Jay Cups
Sounds to me like your machines need balls.
This is in the same league as a posting I did some years back when I wanted to know where I could get felt! :-)ooo
DOC
JayCups wrote:

I've got about 10 gallons. Send me your snailmail address, cover shipping (say 8 bucks) and I'll fill a flat rate box full of 'em for ya.
Are not golf balls rubber bands and maybe with steel, or rubber with acid center ball ?
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Dave Hinz wrote:

-
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:29:02 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn

Never seen steel or an acid (or other liquid) center ball.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I've been wondering about that. Back when I was kid, cadying, there were definately "liquid center" golf balls. Don't remember the brand but it WAS on the order of 60 yrs ago. :-) ...lew...

The last one the golfers pitched over the road and the squirrels investigated to see if it was a nut was solid plastic all the way through (white outside, then blue, then orange.) Old balls (circa 1970's/80's) were rubber bands, and we used to unwrap them for the ball in the middle.
A tiny web search indicates that liquid centers are salt water and corn syrup, not acid.

JayCups wrote:

I've heard that golf balls with liquid centers explode when the drill bit hits the center. Wear safety glasses.
I have a few files with golf ball handles. They work well there too.
GWE

Yeah, I've heard that flying GWB ninjas planned 9/11 also. But, having cut and drilled quite a few golfballs, I've found 2 varieties. 1, the "2 piece" which seems to be "homogeneous mass run through a press which hardens the outside and leaves the middle marshmallow-like", and 2, "wound, meaning rubber bands twisted around themselves with a shell around it". Never seen this pressurized center, in a few dozen golfballs. I do remember that story from when I was in grade school in the 70's though.

Ahhh, very nice for lathe file handles. Thank you.
Dave Hinz wrote:

A long while back....
Used to cut open a lot of golf balls.
Three basic types that I found.
-Rubber band wound hard rubber core. (these were the target golf balls, as the hard core bounced like a superbal)
-Hard all the way through.
-Rubber band wound around a rubber ball full of mineral oil. (These didna bounce so good)
There are probably others.
The oil filled ones ARE at a pretty good pressure. Stands to reason, too, if you look at the rubber bands wound tight around the core.
Seems to me I recall reading somewhere that they were just mineral oil filled. Harmless if ingested at low velocity, though will be excreted rather faster.
Cheers Trevor Jones

Tytlist?tilyst? Titlist? whatever still makes liquid filled balls - Dunlop too I believe. Now filled with corn syrup and salt water. Used to have a bromine sulfate/sulfide or something in back in the sixties that was rather nasty to the eyes from what I remember reading on the subject some time ago. The liquid filling was for better controp - something about damping and backspin.

Greatest file handles in the world. Watch out for the liquid centers, or at least be prepared for them. Place on the handle end of a single jack type heavy hammer and use a piece of shrink tube that grabs the ball and the full length of the hammer. That knob created by the golf ball will keep your sweaty hand from losing the stake hammer. I tried it on one of our hammers and it has become the hammer of choice for all.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Some have liquid centers.
Steve
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:33:06 -0500, JayCups

Indeed. Works very well.
Gunner
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:33:06 -0500, JayCups wrote:

The golf balls that I took apart as a kid had a rubber ball at the core, about a zillion feet of fine rubber band wrapping, then the plastic, dimpled outer skin.
I can't see how you could drill and tap that.
How are they made now?
--
Tim Wescott

A very small number are still like that, I guess. Those are the same ones I recall from when I took an interest in disassembling the things myself - which has passed with age. Many/most are basically solid plastic - a local squirrel got really determined to find the nut inside this weird white husk, and literally gnawed half a ball away, revealing (for that ball, don't recall what brand / model) 3 different colors/layers of basically hard plastic (not very rubbery).
For file handles, the wrapped type was fine, too.

There are basically two types of golf balls. The million feet of rubber band ones. Titelist is one of the major makers of this type felt by most pros to be the most responsive, and "two piece" balls that consist of a core of rubber like material and a cover. No windings.
The latter type probably make the best knobs.....
Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

I've used billiard balls.

Can't beat the classic 8-ball shifter.
Dave

knobs for

today was the

balls,
find some

...mmm ... I thought golf balls were made from a very long thin elastic cord wrapped into a sphere under tension round a central ball bladder and then given a dimpled skin - I suppose modern ones are solid now are they ?
AWEM