heated floor mats

i was hoping i could find some sort of less expensive alternative to a "seed warming mat"

searching the internet for some sort of cheaper alternative i came across these...

i never knew such things existed. i thought of you guys. there had been discussions here about "shop heating" and i thought if there were any guys who had to stand in one spot for an extended period of time on a unheated concrete floor i'd imagine these things would be almost better than sex. i'd like to get one of these things myself even if only to keep my tootsies warm while watching tv. i was amazed at how little electricity they use.

Reply to
William Wixon

That is something I didn't know existed. I have a hot water heated slab in the new addition to my shop but the old part where I do about half my work doesn't have floor heat and this looks like the cat's meow. Thanks for posting the link. Steve Peterson kettleriverironworks.com

Reply to
Steve Peterson

The motorcycle guys have threads on the Web about making your own electric vests .. no big deal, just sew some skinny wire into the fabric, run some current. For a seed warming mat it should be a piece of cake because the connections don't need to be very robust. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I use an old waterbed heater burried in about 100 lbs of sand to distribute the heat

When I had snakes I would cast waterbed heaters in plaster or cement for basking stones. I had BIG snakes

Reply to
bamboo

I've been meaning to look at the heat wire that is used to keep plumbing from freezing. I think any hardware store would have it.

Reply to
Dave

It does, however, need to be very waterproof.

The OP could always try an old heating pad in a plastic bag.

--RC (who lives where seed warming is the least of his problems.)

rcook5

thanks. i ended up shopping around and found a adequately sized and favorably priced heat pad. i called the manufacturer/importer and asked a series of questions (how hot are the three settings and how long it is ok to leave it on) and then asked if they thought it would be ok to use as a seed warming mat and i was astonished they said yes. (i assumed they would be afraid to expose themselves to a potential law suit if i burned my house down using their pad in a non-usual way.) (my intent is to leave it on almost/probably continuously for like a month or two.) (the heat pad is a dual "dry/moist heat" pad and is designed to be used in close proximity to moisture.)

(but to remain on metalworking topic, i posted the link for machinists with cold feet.)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

No connection, but I am familiar with this product.

. Works extremely well, designed to go under ceramic tile flooring, guess you could use it elsewhere and it is UL approved.

Reply to
Grady

A waterbed heater would also be a possibility.

Vaughn ( Yes, I still sleep on one)

Reply to
Vaughn