I need a hand(le); for my older Kennedy Chest

Do many people here do restoration work? I'm looking for a source for handles. Leather wrapped is preferable to match the 40's style handle that was falling apart on my old Kennedy chest that I'm finishing the restoration on.

I'm having trouble coming up with search terms that aren't too generic and turn up random BS. I can get measurements later if anyone needs specifics.

Also, is their a better way to remove rivots besides drilling them out? Or is this the only real way?

Reply to
marc.britten

drilling is the best way to remove rivets.

did you try kennedy?

Replacement parts and accessories for your tool box can be purchased directly from Kennedy by calling our Customer Service dept. at

800-413-8665

Mcmaster has some replacement handles as well-

page 2837, called "folding pull handles" there are several varieties.

Reply to
Ries

I haven't tried kennedy. I looked on their website at the replacement parts. The issue with their stuff is age. This Machinist Chest is almost identical to a standard 520, however it was made before WWII. So lots of little details are different

also the lock, right down to the hand written in cursive Kennedy Logo on the inside of the top flip up.

Tons of little differences in something that is almost identical.

Not quite right. I'll get a picture up, probably should have done that before posting. This handle is thick, and wrapped with leather that is stiched up the top of the handle. its held into place by 2 D rings that sit in 2 retaining pieces riveted to the top.

I asked if there was a way other than drilling because its close to the cursive logo I mentioned and do not want to damage that part.

Reply to
marc.britten

Well, ebay already has one for me

wonder if they'll sell just the handle if the reserve isn't met

Reply to
marc.britten

You might want to check out Ohio Travel Bag. They have lots of handles and hardware.

One thing you may be able to do is bend out the D rings rather than drilling the rivets.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...> On Nov 22,

4:49 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. I knew something must exist but just couldn't figure out how to search for it.

Hopefully. I was kinda hoping to remove the retainers so I could polish them up, but I'll just work slow and guard the top to do this.

Thanks to Reis and Roger for helping

Reply to
marc.britten

I have a lot of handles from Logistech dehumidifiers, 1/4" thick plated steel painted olive drab green, with matching carriage bolts. I put two on a DC power supply, they look nice with those carriage bolt heads.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...> On Nov 22,

4:49 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"
Reply to
Ignoramus31174

You willing to give some up? Do you have any pics and basic measurements?

Reply to
marc.britten