I need a special nut

Need a special nut? Boy, are you EVER in the right newsgroup. We're

83% special, and 92% nuts...
Reply to
whit3rd

I did too, until I made these thread gages:

coarse threads tops were turned to clear the root diameter of the next larger size.

After using them for a little while I can tell the thread size and don't need the gages.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not an automotive standard, so you would need to know what part of what car used that particular nut, and then hope someone actually stocked it. Lambretta scooters used some 7mm stuff. Some hobby stuff (like RC cars) also use 7mm threads. Some BMW exhaust manifold studs may have been 7mm, as well as some skate-board axles.

And cannot forget the old beetle shift knob!!!

That said, making your own was likely a very effective use of time and resources.

Reply to
clare

Perhaps 12mm. A 12mm acorn nut would likely work - or a 12mm chrome lug-nut

Reply to
clare

I don't know what vehicles they are used on, but the 7mm screws I needed for my Multifix tool post came from a blister pack display in an auto parts store, and I've seen them frequently since then.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Steve B" wrote in news:1CGop.18971$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

I have one like that. I'll check the thread pitch and diameter tomorrow.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett