Interesting pig roaster

We use 200 gallon Propane tanks that are out of date. Little 'oil' cans are small. :-)

Mart> Ignoramus28671 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Not sure if it's a gear motor, just the end electric motor from an outside grill rotisserie. There's a square socket where the main rod is inserted that turns the meat. If you're interested, I'll send it to you.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

I already looked in surpluscenter and did not find any.

5-10 RPM gearmotors are VERY rare. i
Reply to
Ignoramus28671

Steve, is that for a chicken sized rotisserie or a pig sized rotisserie?

How much do they weigh?

I would love to get the right sized motor. I looked at every gearmotor on ebay under $100.

Ignoramus28671

I will take a pic of it and post on flickr. It looks like the chicken size. Not very big.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Have a look at Herbach and Rademan.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I was referring to sprockets.

Surpluscenter periodically has low RPM gear motors, their availability varies.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yours must be the vertical cylinder type . I've worn out two of those ... now I use their horizontal type , with the firebox on the end . I've done pork shoulders and turkeys that were almost orgasmically good . I failed at brisket , but have learned from my mistake - ya gotta wrap it in foil and let it rest over very low heat for a coupla hours . After reading this thread I'm going to rig a trough to let the drippings run over to fall into the fire the next time I smoke with it . It also works very well for grillin' pork chops for 20 ...

Reply to
Snag

I can make sprockets very easily now.

Ignoramus32079

message

Not as easily as you think. Take a look at commercial sprockets and note the profile of the teeth, they are not simple flat plate pieces, there is an edge taper on both sides to allow the teeth to engage into the chain without catching. If the teeth are flat, the chain is centered on the sprocket, and the next chain link comes along and there is no clearance into the chain opening and it can catch if the chain isn't perfectly straight. The taper on the tooth allows it to fit into a non perfectly centered chain and guide it into proper position. I believe most of the commercial sprockets also have some heat treating to make them more durable.

Reply to
Pete C.

message

message

I can do that easily too.

Sure. I can give the sprocket the right profile with a lathe or CNC mill, no problems. I do not have a heat treating oven (I have one right now, but I will get rid of it as I have no room).

Ignoramus32079

message

message

Is it worth the effort to spend a couple hours plus raw materials to make a sprocket that you can readily buy for $5-$10? Unless the sprocket is large, it's just not worth it.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Ignoramus32079" wrote

At 5 rpm, and with the ability to make as needed, heat treating would be overkill. Yeah, they would last longer, but just how long do they have to last when you use it 4-8 hours a month?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Yes, but you can buy the sprocket for $10 *with* heat treated teeth, hub, etc. ready to go. On Surpluscenter.com, #35 sprockets start at $2 for the small sizes and go up to a whopping $22 for a nearly 9" dia sprocket, still with heat treated teeth and hub ready to go.

If you need to cut a 4' diameter, segmented #100 pitch sprocket for some giant turntable, it probably makes sense to DIY it, but not for ordinary off the shelf sprockets.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good grief, no. You *do not* foil brisket. There is never any need to use foil on a brisket other that *after* it's done and it's going into the refrigerator, or into a cooler to stay hot until serving.

The keys to perfect brisket are time and temperature. You smoke the brisket around 275F for as long as it takes for the core temperature to get up to 195F or so. If you monitor the temperature as it goes, you will find that the temp climbs fairly linearly up to about 190F at which point it plateaus for a while before finally starting to climb again. What's happening at this plateau is the collagen in the brisket is breaking down, and when the temp starts to rise again the process is complete.

It is only after the collagen has broken down that you will get a fork-tender brisket. For a large 15#+ brisket this process can take 18+ hours. If you don't want to tend a smoker for that long, you can cheat by doing the first 6 hours in the smoker, and then moving to a regular oven set at the same 275F for the remaining time. In the regular oven you put the brisket on an elevated rack (roaster rack or similar) sitting in a large rimmed baking sheet to contain the rendered fat. Again *no* foil is used. Depending on how much you trimmed the fat cap on the brisket, you may need to keep an eye on the fat level in the baking sheet, and be prepared to remove some (turkey baster) before it overflows.

Reply to
Pete C.

If that. I agree with you. Who gives a fsck about heat treating. If it wears out, I will just reuse the same G code as I used to make it. But it will not, of course, wear out.

Ignoramus32079

I am in this CNC frenzy right now, please do not interrupt it.

Ignoramus32079

Hey, if I had one, I'd be playing with it all the time right now, too.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

message

message

Mount it high up on something..you are going to NEED a furnace if you start making complex Stuff. Seriously. I shit you not.

No bullshit.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed...oh hell yes...indeed!!!

Been there, done that. Ride the wave Iggy!!!