Interesting traffic citation racket

One physicist I am working with looks (and is) Russian, spends a lot of time at the gym, and has a nervous habit of flicking his gaze around a lot. He refuses to fly to Washington National anymore because he keeps getting "randomly selected" for special attention.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Are we supposed to believe that a big talker isn't going to say something really stupid and incrimminating to a cop and then get busted for all sorts of bogus stuff?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:34:59 -0700, the infamous Rich Grise scrawled the following:

Feds said "No speed limits, no federal highway funds.", so they put 'em in. 75 and 80 for awhile.

-- The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. --Mark Russell

Reply to
Larry Jaques

sorry for the thread digression.

i'm sure you all have seen this before, many times. (funny computer animation movie of a commercial airliner landing on a freeway)

William Wixon

Yeah - it was build during the "civil defense" panic, when we were all terrified that Russia would be coming over the hill Real Soon Now. There was a requirement that all overpasses have enough vertical clearance to pass large military vehicles, and that sort of thing.

I'm 60 now, so I saw it all unfold.

And that's another problem - too much damn military, with bloodlust in the spot where their heart is supposed to be.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Iggy: You live in Chicagoland, right? Ex post facto, it's well known as Corruption Central - Home of "Vote early and often." If you'd slipped $100 cash to the patrolman under your license, the response would be "Have a nice day, you may go now..."

(Try that in California and the cop is hooking you up Right Now.)

Folks, remember that most Windows Mobile devices will act as a really nice "wire" and will record audio as long as you have free memory. Set the recording bitrate and sensitivity and learn how to put it into Record now, before you are under duress.

For a Palm Treo, you assign the option button on the side to "Notes" and then all you have to do is press the little Record red ball.

11,025 Khz mono should be plenty

Let's see, divide 11 kb/s into 2GB gets you...

If you have a way to prove this shakedown to a Judge (like, say a nice clear recording of a cop asking for a bribe...) you call the State AG or the FBI and start kicking butt and taking names. Suborning a bribe, falsification of official records, tax evasion ... (You don't honestly think he's going to list bribe money on his taxes, do you?)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I am 38 years old, never gave a bribe, and I am not about to start for no good reason. I do not think of myself as a unusually honest individual, I just do not like to give bribes.

Ignoramus8004

B 52's are obsolete?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

She was following "Basic Speed Law" which is almost uyniversal between states - "driving no faster than safe for the existing road and traffic condtions."

Classsic No Win Situation (ast the time), and you could probably argue that one with a judge and win in a courtroom. If she didn't slow down he could cite for Basic Speed Law simply by still going the speed limit in the driving rain where visibility was reduced and braking traction was nil - so she slowed down to a safe and reasonable speed...

And the cop called it 'obstructing traffic' instead. Face it, the MFing cop was late to go off duty, and she was slowing him down in getting back to the police station, so she's getting a ticket for something. And since they'd never buy 'Spitting on the sidewalk'...

Well, that's exactly what they did - they asked for a bribe to "make it all go away." And there's no sugar-coating it. If you go along with their offer and then they get caught (through no actions of yours), they could very easily turn it all around and make it out that YOU approached THEM with a bribe, and since they are the sworn officers who do you think gets the benefit of the doubt? Hint - it ain't you. You have to have your ass well covered.

I would call a criminal lawyer for a consult Right Now, he might be joining you in court to contest the ticket on the merits - you might get the Judge to toss the ticke out if he learns about the little stunt the local Policeman's Benevolent Fund (IOW the Precinct Beer and Hookers slush fund) just tried to pull.

Depending on the state laws, you might have "a friend" along as you go to pay the bribe and watch them tear up the ticket - whatever you do, do NOT tell them your 'friend' is a Lawyer or a State/Federal LEO and is there to serve as an unimpeachable witness to the bribery...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman