Lathe chuick on one inch shaft

I want to mount a lathe chuck on a motor with one inch shaft without threads.What is the best,cheapest and safest way to do this,thanks

Reply to
Randy79

Welding may work.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Might get a little runout though .

Reply to
Snag

If you have a lathe at your disposal, machine an adapter that is adjustable on the motor shaft, and has the proper thread and locating surfaces machined concentric with the bore that mounts on the shaft. A series of three screws @ 120 degrees apart, two rows, will allow for minor runout adjustment on the adapter.

You lost with this idea? Contact me privately and I'll provide more info.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Harold and Susan Vordos formulated the question :

I just sent an email with a picture,I have no lathe.

Reply to
Randy79

You haven't included any info about what size or type of chuck that you would want to use. The speed of the motor would be another important aspect.

A slowly-turning 3" chuck wouldn't be too difficult, but a fast rotating 8" chuck would provide a very serious safety risk. You should only attempt to run a large chuck at slow speeds. A gearhead motor or a gear reduction box would provide a slower, safer speed.

There probably isn't a method of adapting a chuck safely, without the use of some basic machining or tools to suit the job (a drill press would be handy, for example, but a lathe would be ideal.. I saw that you don't have a lathe).

A sprocket hub and a disk (sprocket with the chain teeth cut off) could be attached mechanically (hardware), and the chuck could be bolted/attached to the disk, if the chuck speed is fairly slow. Chucks that run fast have a register shoulder to help maintain their position (not mounted to a flat surface with bolts).

If everything isn't accurately centered, balanced and true, you will have trouble holding the motor stationary, and/or difficulty keeping the assembly secured to the motor shaft.

WB metalworking projects

Wild Bill