Lincoln SP series mig welders versus a retail version?

Your response is spot on. I have used my 175SP+ to make several things from paint lock sheet metal. One was a catch pan for my washing machine, which
needed to be an odd size. I don't know if one of the "steps" would have done it, or the old, "one's too hot and one's too cold" thing. The use of the machine has a lot to do with its selection in the first place, and as I never know what I'm going to run into, I like to buy for all situations.
But that's just me.
Steve

As regards the wirefeed unit, I have the SP125 Plus so it's pretty old. I bought the welder used and it looked pretty well used. There was lots of bondo dust inside so I think it probably spent a lot of time in a body shop. The guy I bought it from was using it in a shipyard. The plastic wirefeed parts are still working perfectly. In fact, everything works perfectly in this machine. ERS
THANK YOU to everyone who replied.
I picked up the last Mig pak 15 the store had. they are considered discontinued by Canadian tire up here in Canada and i got it for less than they paid for it. CTC is Clearing those welders out below cost at the moment and any Canadian who might be interested in it might want to drop in.
the feeder guts are far more solidly built in the lincoln than in the "house brand" that was my other option.
I am however VERY happy to be able to drop into my usual welding shop and pick up standard consumables for a common gun and IF i get an aluminum MIG job I'll buy a Magnum 100SG to do it with. and once again deal with simple common consumables
Thanks again for y our help and feedback

I have preached this very idea here for a long time. When considering buying a machine, consumables and spare parts are a BIG consideration. Even with clones and relabeled machines. They can be called "Old Sparky" on the label, and if they use Lincoln or Miller or Hobart consumables, then you just jog on down to the store and buy them. Even the Borgs have tips and other consumables now for the major colors. Get one of the Fujimatsosuki's, and you won't have the same luck, and your machine will spend more time sitting there instead of welding.
Even if you DID save big bucks when you bought it. I suggest that anyone who buys a cheap welding machine insist on a good carrying handle. That way, it will always make a good boat anchor.
Steve ;-)

I'm happy with my Blue Tig machine and now my Red Mig
Life is simple and parts are simple and the magnum 100L gun is available across many platforms and most of them are Industrial and supported in "real" welding shops
Brent Ottawa Canada

The thing I like the MOST about red or blue is that 99.9% of the time, you flip the switch, twist a valve and start welding.
Steve

My overall goal is to buy quality tools before i'm married and still have them in 20 years if i can

Buy quality and cry only once. As for having the same wife in twenty years, I can offer no valid advice in that area.
Steve