liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ?

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason not to use it ? I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum. Thanks !

Reply to
pogo

I don't see why not. I routinely use WD40 for working aluminum. Got tierd of the smell of kerosine

Reply to
Gerry

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

So, yes.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well, now that I know that I think I'll take my can back to Sears tomorrow. :-) Thanks for the info! JCD

Reply to
pogo

That's not what the MSDS says.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to use a penetrant as a cutting fluid, but it's not kerosene.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Sure it does. If you know the nomenclature.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

For aluminium, it is OK. Not for steel. So why not buy a real cutting fluid? Oh! Spit is good for aluminium, can't be cheaper.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Depends on what you expect a tapping/cutting fluid to do. Most of them simply carry away heat, either through flooding and convection, or through evaporation (energy absorption due to change of state). A few, like the old Rapid Tap that had 1,1,1-trichloroethane in it, actually created a thin oxide layer on the tool as soon as the tool got hot, and that oxide acted as the lubricant. The trick was to use only a drop so that the tool would get warm enough. Too many folks would flood it and the effect was lost. Of course, like anything that works well, it was outlawed, in this case because it affected the ozone layer. I don't know if the "new" Rapid Tap (must be 17 or 18 years old now) does the same thing, but it looks more like oil and doesn't work as well. I still have half a can of the old stuff that I use only on the toughest cuts. WD40 or kerosene or anything like that (I use Mouse Milk sometimes) will evaporate quickly and cool the tool. Makes less mess than having to flood it. The messiest stuff I ever used was a green goop that resembled yogurt that worked ok but left scum and lumps all over everything. Can't remember the name of it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

You talking about Anchor Lube?

Reply to
Rick

The bottom-end formulation of Liquid Wrench is mostly naphtha.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That was it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Would that be Molly-D?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Probably not what you mean by "naphtha", such as VM&P naphtha.

One MSDS gives, "PETROLEUM MID-DISTILLATE, ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM NAPHTHA".

Aka "kerosene".

Reply to
Richard J Kinch