Machine tool accessories for sale in Portland

Chuckle!

I'll leave that one alone, secure in the knowledge that my better half is inclined to read some of these posts. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Damned shame, DoN. Wish the lady well for me.

I, too, have some hearing issues, likely a result of having listened to machines too long, and stereos too loudly.

When I listen to a solo piano, I hear the distant thump of keys on the right end of the keyboard, but don't hear the intended tone. I don't have a clue where it starts sounding like a tone instead of a thump----but I recall all too well being able to hear the flyback transformer on old TV's. It's been a long time since I've heard that sound. Been a long time since I could see without glasses, too. About 20 years, in fact. I used to have 20-15 vision.

Old age sucks.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:02:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan Vegvary" quickly quoth:

Mom called that "hard of listening". Dad and Nana weren't hard of hearing, they were hard of listening.

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

[ ... ]

I will. Thanks.

As it turns out, it has been gradual, and is not a serious problem at this point, but some relatives who had not seen her for about four or five years noticed the problem and notified us. That explained a lot of things.

Since I lost mine before having stereos available that loud, and before having machines, I guess that I can blame mine on a combination of climbing inside a big wooden crate to turn it into a clubhouse by hammering some additions on the inside, and building a transistorized amplifier which I packaged with a crystal microphone and some headphones as a makeshift (and then unneeded) "hearing aid", and then riding around town on my bicycle wearing that -- and hearing the squeal of the bike's brakes amplified among other things.

Hmm ... as far as I can remember, that is what I heard even before either of the above-listed sources of hearing damage (based on where and when I had access to a piano to play with), so it must have been something earlier. I used to wonder why those right-hand keys were so uninteresting. :-)

So -- what else could have done it. I had not done any shooting at that time, but who knows what else I did as a kid. I don't think that it is a side-effect of Mononucliosis, which I know I had as a kid

-- during wartime rationing, which made it more difficult to get me what the doctor said I needed, and resulted in my going to South Texas to live with my grandparents -- down where the meat was grown, and a little easier to get for a good cause without the ration stamps.

That would be around 15 KHz, IIRC. Well above the primary notes of a piano. I seem to remember being able to hear those, sometimes.

Glasses for near objects. So far I don't need them for distant objects.

Amen!

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Huh???

Gunner, cocking his head....sigh.... A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner