Machinist's Handbook 26 as an e-Book

Thank you, i... I got Forte agent and downloaded the 33 files. Then I got WINRAR to decode and assemble them. NOW I am left with a single 460 meg file with .bin filetype. I'm at the limit of my technical ability on THIS one! What do I do next?

Rich (Bottom posting out of courtesy to i.)

Reply to
Rich Hare

good job. You should have a big .BIN and a small .CUE file, instead of only one .BIN file as you are describing. If you do not have the CUE file, I can email you one, but you'd be unlikely to not have it. You now need to burn the CD with, say, Nero Burning ROM or some other windows utility that burns those files and recognizes .BIN and .CUE files. I am personally using linux and CDRDAO for recording, but as a windows user, you need something windows specific. You are very close to your goal, do not despair.

See if your CD burning program supports burning BIN/CUE files. These are very common format.

Ignoramus25901

Yes Yes Yes Yes YES! Did a little research on Google and now I understand BIN and CUE! I have NERO! BUT! I have a corrupted file, somewhere. Tomorrow, I will try to figure out how to re-download some of the .rar files with Forte and see if I can salvage this out. I've got MANY hours into this project at this time. All this because I bought a new HF lathe!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

How many hours? The CD for the 26th Edition is available on Amazon for $61.17. Are you down to minimum wage yet?

"Steal a book for a man, and you'll keep him busy for hours. Teach a man to steal books, and you'll keep him tied up for days." -- Anon.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's good.

Should be no problem. I also had a corrupted file. What you need is to download PAR2, a program that repairs downloaded files. You should have in your directory files xxxxx.1+2.PAR2, or some such.

Download par2 from par2.net, and run it. Try QuickPar for windows, I have not tried it as I do not use windows. Par2 will repair it.

If you get very stuck, I can mail you a copy.

Ignoramus25901

I use BNR - Binary News Reaper. It's free, and it's designed specifically for downloading binaries from newsgroups. You only have to typically flag one title, and it collects all the needed files. You can even set up a "Want" filter and it will search all the e-book groups daily for files with the word "Machinery" in the subject line, and download and combine them automatically in the folder you specify. You just check your PC periodically and see what it's snagged.

Reply to
Rex B

I downlaoded it from here:

's%20Handbook%2026th%20Edition.zip It's a ZIP file, UNzip it to its own drectory and open the PDF file, that's it.

Reply to
Dirk Gently

Mr. Gently... Thank you. I now have the PDF on my computer.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Mr. i ... I thank you! I have learned a bunch about .rar files and ebooks and stuff. I'm afraid I had a corrupted file that I couldn't fix, and I accepted Mr. Gently's offer of a zip file... but it was a NICE trip, and I'm glad I went... "Life is a process, not a destination..." and I REALLY appreciate you trying to guide me... AGAIN I thank you... and wish you a 2005 filled with problems and solutions!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

276 megabytes?????

Sigh..not on dialup....

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Yep, this messing around is far from wasted time. I am a little drunk at the moment.

i?

Reply to
Ignoramus31471

's%20Handbook%2026th%20Edition.zip

Link worked fine on my OS 9.2.1 Mac.

Required about 48 minutes to download using DSL.

Unzips to a 380 MB folder.

Burns easily to a CD, after degragging using Norton.

Made a second copy for my Mac laptop.

What a deal!

Reply to
Peter H.

As someone who has first hand experience in doing all the detail work required to prepare for printing educational materials for school aged children and who clenches his jaw everytime he encounters a teacher using a photocopy of one of our entire books........

Let me ask you one question to see If I can figure out where you (and Richard Kinch as well) are coming from.

Do you also feel that buying a ticket to see a movie at a multiplex cinema and then hiding in a restroom stall for a while so you can slip in and see another movie which you note has plenty of empty seats while you are there isn't a theft?

I'm not sure which saddens me the most, your stealing copyrighted material or proudly admitting it on a newsgroup.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Renting a seat (and then taking another) in someone else's room for two hours is not comparable to rearranging bits patterns on your own hard drive.

If you could magically wish for the light patterns on your retinas at home, without paying for the movie ticket, would you consider that "stealing"? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

(For my part, the thread was speaking abstractly, not in regard to anyone's admission.)

No "material" is involved. States merely changed in a machine. You might as well say someone owns a copyright on certain DRO positions on your Bridgeport. One can conceive of information (in the Shannon theoretic sense) as property, and in turn one can postulate the transmission of such information as theft of property, but that does not make it so, other than as a linguistic tautology.

Here, I will become the world's greatest thief ever:

main() { int i; for (;i++;) } /* For arbitrary integer precision */

There, I have expressed a program which will generate literally every book, movie, digital photograph, etc., that has ever been written or ever will be. I am guilty of copying everything that has been or ever will be copyrighted (*extends arms for handcuffs*).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

And morally, the difference is. . .?

We've already established your lack of knowledge about the legalities of copyright. I'm interested to see just you justify your position from a moral and ethical standpoint.

--RC

rcook5

I use my own perl scripts for it, but for you, forte agent is the way to go. I already burned my CD-Rom with this wonderful handbook.

****************

And what do you say about the copyrighting of music? Should everyone with a good voice or who is a talented instrumentalist be entitled to record copyrighted stuff and post it on the web for anyone else who wants to enjoy it to grab?

One can conceive of information (in the Shannon

I think some guy who first thought about a lot of monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare's plays beat you to that one.

My comment relative to your hypotheticaly running that program and creating a near infinitely long document is that it wouldn't bother me because it would take you a near infinite amount of time to locate and read anything I've got copyrighted. I doubt if it would bother any other copyright holder for the same reason.

Next please?

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I am going to stay away from this thread because I do not want to be embroiled in a huge "copyright is theft" flamewar. I want to use this newsgroup for metalworking and machinery related conversations.

Ignoramus28225

Too late. You are already doomed.

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human interaction." John Husvar

Reply to
Gunner

If it is a question of "ought", then my *personal opinion* hinges simply on the making of money from others' works, vs casual use. If you're going to sing a copyrighted work in the shower, then that's OK (despite what the copyright fundamentalists say). If you're going to sell recordings of your performance, or tickets to a live event, then no. The author should have rights to any money, but casual use does not involve money.

Of course it isn't practical, but that misses the point of the illustration. The copyright fundamentalists insist that the mere generation of a copyrighted image is the crime, so a program that generates all possible images must be the ultimate intellectual property theft. The point being, image-making per se is not the allegedly criminal act, it is arbitrary actions that when carefully defined lack any consistent moral foundation.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Absurd.

Reply to