Making my Own Blasting Media? Is it possible or feasable?

What if I built some type of ball mill and used recycled glass bottles, found along side the road for blasting media? Would it be too difficult to control the size of the particles? Just a thought.

Reply to
JoeMorgan

Joe, I'm something of an expert on ball milling (in another technical realm).

A properly loaded and charged ball mill running at the correct speed will quickly produce particle sizes of almost anything you want, down to sub-micron sizes.

The main problem with ball milling is that it is a batch process that produces a wide _range_ of particle sizes. So, if you want to generate a narrow range, you'll be doing quite of bit of screen classification after milling.

The method used for achieving a narrow range of particle sizes in one pass is known as "chilsonating" or "blade granulation". Chilsonators are actually two-step machines that first consolidate, then grind. Blade granulators are more what you're looking for. These granulators are the sort used to re-granulate plastic injection moulding runners and sprues. They whack at the material with flat blades, close to a screen of the appropriate size. As soon as the particles fit through the screen, they fall away, never to be re-ground again (unlike a ball mill).

Use 90-95% high-alumina media for milling glass in a ball mill. 3/4" media is about right for a 6" diameter milling jar.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It doesn't have to be. When I was processing precious metals, I built a small ball mill that was continuous feed. Worked fine.

that

Which is what I did. However, very little had to be re-processed. I controlled the discharge rate with my water flow, permitting the contents to run long enough for sizing as desired.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

IIRC, sized crushed glass for blasting is about fifty cents per pound, less in quantity. Would it really be worth it?

Reply to
Vladimir Vladimirovich