Retrofit Servo IMPACT system?

Ive a customer with one of the Servo Impact "cnc" drilling units. According to the customer, Servo sucks, their controller sucks, their
service sucks and their prices suck.
They are...ah...not shy about speaking their mind. They have had this drilling unit for a number of years and are continually having problems with it, and while the basic drill, ballscrews and so forth are sound...the Controller sucks...well..see first paragraph.
Anyone got a source for a small cnc retrofit package that will run this thing? Work space is about 4" x 8", using (2) of the Servo high precision drills. We need three axis control using new servos hooked to exisiting ball screws and a PC interface with software.
Somone want to make a few dollars? These people are NOT cheap and are willing for someone to do it right. Customer located in Santa Ana California
Gunner
" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Gunner,
I'd suggest looking at Camsoft for this app. You're bound to have something come up here that the inexpensive pc controls won't handle. The real key to Camsoft is the Galil process control computer that fits in a pc slot - beats the heck out of making the pc do all the real time work. This control ain't cheap; if you buy all new; budget 10 - 15 K or don't look at it.
Just a satisfied Camsoft user, no other connection.
Karl
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:28:51 -0600, "Karl Townsend"

Way too much money for simply controlling a small CNC drill press. Ive heard good things about Camsoft..but the client will not pay that much money for the application. For that kind of money, he can buy an entire good used cnc mill.
All he needs is three very small servos, a controller, PC interface and the software.
Gunner
" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Look at a 6k by Parker. I'm using one for my new brush machine and it's so cool. I don't have it running and am no help. Here's one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryd015&item871317929&rd=1

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:04:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Thanks Tom, I notified my client and he will take a look at it. Between he and I, we have at least one functioning brain so might be able to utilize this. While they are in a hurry, they are not in a rush, so we will investigate all the options.
Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Gunner call me Monday, I have a very economical way to go on that tool...

Really? email me with your contact info.just drop the nospam from my email addy.
Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
I have a dyna 2400 mill which uses the same castings as the Impact. I also have an impact mill that I picked up that was incomplete but I have retrofitted the dyna from stepper motors to PMDC servo motors with optical encoders. I have built numerous low cost servo systems. I also sell kits. Have your customer contact me off line at snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com and check out my product section of my web site at www.seanet.com/~dmauch .The controls are setup for any pc step and direction program
Dan Mauch Camtronics Inc

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 06:15:52 -0800, "everydayjoe"

Thanks Dan...exactly what we are looking for!