Making welding tables

Gunner fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nah... attempting to drag the load across the table.

Yeah... 2" won't hold a vise OR a grinder very well. It vibrates like a bowstring under any rotating load.

Ig, I suspect you do not appreciate how small and "fragile" 2" pipe is compared to the loads routinely put on AND DRAGGED ACROSS welding tables.

I didn't suggest that someone might just put a hand on one end of the work and pull. But he/she might attempt to drag it with mechanical means, or with a couple of helpers. People don't think before they jump.

LLoyd

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

My welding bench is a piece of 3/4 steel plate welded to a frame made from 2" square tubing. I could have, and should have, just welded the legs to the steel top, it would have made clamping things to the table easier. The legs all have casters on the ends so that I can roll it around. I used 1" square tubing to brace the perimeter at the leg bottoms only on three sides so that I can sit at the bench and TIG weld. Because of the casters the perimeter bars are about 5 inches above the floor which makes them nice to set a foot on when welding while standing. I welded vertically two 2"x3" x 1/4" thick plates to the underside of the table at the back. The plates are parallel to the back edge and located at either side. They are for ground clamps and were one of my better ideas. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I built one similar to what you describe. I framed up the supports for a shelf about 12 inches from the ground which is a handy place to keep stuff and also braces the legs.

Reply to
John B.

How tall is the work? Acorn welding tables are fairly low.

When I use my hydraulic lift as a welding table the comfortable height can be anywhere from 2' to 5'.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, I'll bet they are.

My table is a rotating floor grate with 1-1/2" x 5/16" vertical bars. About 3' square, smaller pipe set into a 3" upright with tripod base made from 3" U stock. It followed me home from Gunners one year. The grates stop round stock from rolling around better than I had imagined. It lives outside and I take a wire brush to one little area for grounding when I need to use it. The perfect zero-cost table...if I don't need to fab up something perfectly square.

The single upright reminds me not to put really heavy stuff on top. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The one I made today, is 30 inches tall.

Ignoramus7601

I'm thinking make 4 side pipes - using the 'ends' at one height and that ties two legs from spreading and then two more t's at a different height for the other legs. Now all four are attached to themselves and to the top.

I'd consider having pipe flanges on the feet - allowing for locking to the floor but also screw up/down to level just right on all four legs.

Mart> >> Ignoramus7601 fired this volley in

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I'm building a target system and use 3/8" thick, 4x4 angle iron.

3/8 might be light. Legs have to be attached top and bottom.

Mart> "Pete S" wrote in

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

You could offer to cut the 10' pipe in thirds instead of quarters and let the user shorten them if they want. Presumably customers for welding tables can cut steel. IIRC the standard height for sit-down tables is 29", for standing it's

36". jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I say a 8 by 20' table of an acorn table - it was in the old Southern Pacific engine house - on a navy base - owned by a club now. They were in the process of burning out the bolts in the boiler to replace pates and get the engine back up to inspection grade. It was a massive shop because boilers and all sorts of stuff would be dogged down and worked on. That is on the west SFO bay.

Mart>> are holding a welding rod holder and a 14 inch welding rod.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

That shellac gets thinned with vodka

Ignoramus7601

He was right about everything but one. Those berries came from the male lac bug and is cut with Russo-Baltique. Use the finish well.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Until the guy (who doesnt own a forklift) decides to move it, and folds up one leg and it becomes a rather nifty guillotine, severing legs, feet and cats from all 9 of their lives.

You have had a majority of the actual smart people on this group suggest you make it better..using heavier legs and bracing.

If you choose to disreguard this advice...on your head be it.

Shrug

  1. Lie
Gunner

I was wondering where that thing had gotten off to (the stroke..sigh)

Glad its doing a good job for you!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

But only Polish made Chopin vodka! Russian vodka is a poor runner up and makes the shellac lumpy (like many russian women)

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

(VBG)!! Very good! I was wondering who would catch that!

  1. Lie
Gunner

Eek! My memory is going just a tiny bit and that's not fun. I can't imagine what you're feeling nowadays with chunks just _gone_. Condolences, mon.

Y'know, the drill press is still sitting unused, ut I just sold the little HF a couple months ago. I bought the idler pulley and installed it over a year ago, but never installed that into the DP. Now that I have a bit more room in there, I need to get it going, and now I have just enough room to do it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's the other half of that joke:

Larry Jaques

Reinforce them, even with triangles of plate. Make clamp hangers, grinder hangers, and a little shelf for square, soapstone, ruler, etc. Make them strong, and build for disaster, because those things happen. Even if it bends somewhat, then you have an untrue welding surface, which would have been so easy to have prevented.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'd want all those things, and most of what others have said regarding convenience features. But ... these tables will be bought by _weldors_

- let them add the features that they'd like and want. I'd say that Iggy can maximize his value-added per hour-spent by doing what he is doing: the minimum.

My $.02, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt