Making welding tables

Steve W. wrote:

Reminds of what I use as a coffee table/ small dining table. It is a very sculpted old barber chair base or similar and I have a 30mm thick marble top a bit over a metre in diameter on it. It will raise from about 17" to 26" and spin round and can be locked. I would expect it to make a nice welding table with a steel top and an extension to raise it a bit. I know a couple of antiques restorers that have similar bases to allow the pieces they're working on to be raised to a convenient height.

It makes a huge difference in the type of welding you do. I like a 4 x 10' table because I do a lot of ornamental metal. It has four end to end pieces of angle, clamp hangers, a couple of shelves underneath made of shopping cart material where I can toss my grinder, and hand tools between uses. I have a piece of 4' square plate that cam be put on top when I want a flat surface. A floor mounted table is good if you are welding something really heavy. Having wheels is handy if you have to move things around. So, as mentioned by several contributors, one table does not do it all, and sometimes the good choice is to have more than one if you have the space. A specialty table can get you more work done.
Steve

You can always raise that table on 6x6s also.
wrote

More like 12x12s.... lol
--
EA

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:28:39 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

Are you selling these or just helping the guy out by advertising them?

Looks like a clever budget concept, I would say, not bad.
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:52:21 -0600, Ignoramus13907

Thats a VERY nice table indeed. Though $3,300 plus shipping might be a bit much for most folks here. Then one has to add the tooling which is additional.......
So is this one
http://www.stronghandtools.com/siegmundtables/index.php
I didnt bother to look up pricing...its made in Germany......
Gunner
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:03:33 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

Given that I built my own welding table I reckon that $3,000 is way too much money - I think mine might have cost me $100 plus part of a day's work.
Been using it about 5 years so far and it seems to be working pretty well.
--
Cheers,
John B.

I agree. Mine works pretty well, and it sure helps to know how to use the square, clamps, tape measures, and stuff that those expensive fancy tables do for you automatically. I'm kinda old school. Now, for making a Jessie James one off bike, I'd consider it for its accuracy. For making parts carts, I'll stick with my temporary weld on an angle iron jig stop, burn it off when yer done approach.
Steve

The StrongArm and other Pro Welding Tables with the slots and threaded holes for attaching fixturing are $2,000 - $3,000 for a basic table, then you spend another $2,000 minimum for all the special fixturing and clamps - and that's to get started, I can see dropping $10K on fixturing one piece at a time.
And woe to the first person that grabs your torch without thinking and makes a huge burn in the face in the face of your $3,000 table...
If you don't need to jig something up and get tenths tolerances or better, I'll go for the "Chunk of heavy plate and weld on your own legs" table any day.
If you don't go crazy you can tack down and burn off a lot of stuff before it starts affecting the flatness of the table, especially if you put some bracing across the bottom to hold it flat.
Now I just need to locate a 2' X 4' chunk of 3/8" plate around here for inexpensive. Oh, and a 3X3 chunk of bar grating and an empty open-top 55-gallon drum for plasma and flame cutting.
I have lots of old light posts - 3" OD x 1/8"- 3/32" - 1/16" wall (except at the bottom foot where they rusted off...) to make a set of heavy legs. And the cross bracing can be any old mild tube.
The tricky part is making one leg telescoping to adjust for an uneven floor, Trailer Jack, perhaps? And finding a set of swivel casters for it - the only things heavy enough would be for Dumpsters.
--<< Bruce >>--

I got four of those things masonry and concrete guys put in the ends of pipes to hold up 4x's on forms. About 1 1/8" diameter shaft, 6x6 top plate, and hefty t screw handle. Mondo heavy with coarse threads that are almost impossible to clog. I got all mine at yard sales for a couple of bucks. Have no clue what retail is, but much more, I'm sure. Used them many times during installation of headers, and temporary jacking. About 2' long overall, but could be shortened. Slides right inside a 1 1/4" round tube. (est) Handy for a lot of things.
Steve
Found it.
http://www.storesonline.com/site/1290335/product/J306
$20, but shipping would kill you.
Steve

I suppose it depends on what you are doing. Most places I've been have a big old rusty table that you can tack stuff too for one kind of work and some nice clean tables with the 1/16" TIG torches hanging on them for other kinds of work.     and never the twain shall meet :-)
--
Cheers,
John B.

Excellent vids, almost mesmerizing.... this guy can really weld, table/system is ossum, excellent tutorial value. If I were welding again, I'd watch every one of this guy's vids.
I suppose eventually, over time, those holes will get buggered, but it's nice that if any plate got really damaged, it's only one of a dozen pcs.
I'm figgerin that table is at least 36" tall. That whole system he got hadda be a few thou..... It also illustrates that you don't need one continuous surface for welding, that in fact a DIScontinuous (but flat) surface can have far more utility.
--
EA

I know this is almost OT, but is the pipe that you have cast iron or is it cast steel? If it's cast iron, can you still weld it well to the plate?
I am not much of a welder, but I'd be a little concerned about the plate warping where the leg welds occur. This might be a bad thing for flatness.
Also, I'd go with a minimum plate thickness of 1/2" or even more. I suppose it depends on what the user is going to do with it. My kid is a welder by trade and he tacks things to the table all the time to hold the parts in place. In that case, I assume that thicker is better.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
message

Tacking things to the table is a very bad habit! Do not get caught doing that to my table. The scars have to be ground off and after a while the table is nowhere close to being flat. I have a table 1 1/4 thick astm514 (T-1) with 3x5 angle iron for legs with the heel of the angle towards the center so that a clamp can be used at the very corner of the table.

Holy shit.... dat table may fall to the center of the earth.....
--
EA

> with the heel of the angle towards the center so that a clamp
I'm building a target system and use 3/8" thick, 4x4 angle iron. 3/8 might be light. Legs have to be attached top and bottom.
Martin
On 12/1/2012 10:15 AM, Phil Kangas wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 07:56:27 -0600, Ignoramus7601

Have you researched the liability issues of fabbing to sell? I'd want that on my umbrella policy if nothing else.

Absolutely! It doesn't take much. I'd be comfy with 5/8" angle halfway down the legs on the outside, but use whatcha got. Leave room for storage and the ability to clean underneath it.
Go diagonal, too, between legs under the table. Welding tables get lots of weight tossed onto them from all angles, so build 'em beefy.

That depends on your work. If you do only small work at table height, I'd shift that height up to 40+ inches. Lots of big heavy work might indicate the need of a lower table. Since you have cranes, moving work to the table isn't a problem and doesn't affect height. To me, the ideal height is variable, depending upon what type of welding I'm doing and where it is on the project. I hate bending over for long times.
For sale, go 30". People are comfortable with sizes they're familiar with.
For yourself, why not build a hydraulic table which can stand between 18-42" tall, Ig? You have the technology. ;) If not, find some hydraulic camper jacks to make it real.
--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I would not be losing my sleep over liability involved in making a welding table. It is not a spaceship or a scaffold.
I am still thinking about reinforcements, the need thereof, etc.