math problem

[ ... ]

Some of them still are not. About ten years ago, before my wife retired, she (and the agency for which she worked) were doing testing on a rather complex database system which a contractor was trying to provide them.

In a meeting, the contractor was boasting about how robust it was. Another co-worker said "Robust! I can bring it down with one keystroke!

"Show us!"

So they went to a terminal logged onto the training database, and the co-worker went through a series of steps which were all agreed to be normal things, and ended up at a (yet another*) menu. And asked "Everything is normal up to this point, right?". "Yes." "O.K., now!" and she reached out and depressed *one* key.

It not only brought down the training database, but also the production database which was running on the same machine. :-)

  • "Yet another menu" -- there were so many menus on this system, with *No* shortcuts, that my wife and I referred to this system as "Menu Madness". :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ha. Her name was not "Germain" by any chance?

Jim

jim rozen

Nope -- and she is no longer with us, unfortunately.

But it sounds as though you have a story behind that name.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That was the one I've already related - where a sister of a co-worker called up her brother here and said 'type this in to VM' and he did so. And then "hey, the system just crashed."

"I know - it's a *bug*. We just found it!"

She was some kind of systems programmer.

Jim

jim rozen

My first was hex in 1956. Yup. ALWAC 3E. Tube flip-flops, Ge diode logic, rotating drum memory, Flex-writer with paper tape reader. Key in bootstrap in binary with front panel switches, read code for high speed paper tape reader from the flex. No assembler. Code hand arranged for optimum reading (drum rotation, ya know).

First contact with APL was 1967 at U of Alberta. We were test site for APL\360.

That's the one. Special type ball for APL.

I'm surprised you had access to that. That was a privleged command.

M$ anyone?

One day I was teaching in the hardware lab (we used it for both class and lab) when there was a knock at the door. I answered it to find the Dean's secratary there with tears streaming down her face. She was holding a floppy disk and had a sad story. That afternoon was the big budget meeting and the Dean's presentation had a problem. (It was word, not M$Word, things hadn't deteriorated that much yet.) They could print about half a dozen lines then it would stop. Checked the backups - same story. Was there ANYTHING I could do? I stuck the disk in the PC Junior (a good computer for its day) and looked at the directory. The reported file length seemed reasonable for the document but a TYPE command showed only a few lines. I read the file into APL and looked at the file in hex then played a hunch. +/EOF=TEXT. Answer was 2. You see, this clever word processor let you insert control codes in your document by holding down the key and typing a letter. (The key is right beside the shift key.) So, TEXT{is}((TEXT{not-equal}EOF)/TEXT),EOF and write the file back to disk and voila. I was the local hero in the Dean's office for a while.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I remember stumbling into that also - but I want to say I saw it years after on a DG computer. Had several 'high' level editors to look and see the whoops. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Ok - how about ICOSOHEX :-)

Mart> Ted Edwards wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Somehow the attribution got off a little. My first programming occured before there was APL.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I don't remember when APL got started, but I think that I was programming before it existed, too. At least the HP 9200B programmable desktop (before that shrunk that into a pocket calculator), and perhaps even my early fumbling at 6800 machine language. :-)

Without bothering to trace the thread back, I would say that it looks as though it was Chuck who said that. He had apparently quoted something of yours. Note that the attribution line should be one level of quoting back from the actual quoted text, and here the two are at the same level.

Of course, some newsreaders just don't bother to put in an attribution header, and some others don't bother maintaining the quote marks, so none of the above may be true. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols