Using car parts in a forklift ?

I have a 1997 Yale forklift with a trillion hours on it (from the previous owner). The service manual (which cost me my left arm, leg and testicle) says it has a Mazda F2 engine. Surprisingly, this thin but expensive manual doesn't have a chapter about the engine, nor does it mention much about the mast. Google says the Mazda F2 engine was used in "first gen Mazda MX-6 and Ford Probe, 88-92 Mazda 626, and 87-93 B2200 pickups". Can I use easily found aftermarket parts for these cars in my forklift? For example, oil filters, head gaskets, spark plugs, etc. If I were to buy a service manual (either factory, or Haynes, but definitely not Chilton) for one of these cars, would the chapter on the engine be applicable to my forklift?

I'm thinking Yale would not have had Mazda build a special "forklift grade" version of their engine, but what do I know.

Any comments?

Reply to
AL

Most of the forklift makers have used car engines in their smaller forklifts at some time.Tractor engines were also popular.The differences are usually in the ancillaries,i.e.on an lpg engine there might be a governer fitted or a different water pump.Diesels might have different governer springs in the pump.The reason the mast may not be mentioned is that the smaller manufacturers buy the mast in ready to bolt on,or a customer may specify a certain make.Sometimes the oil filters are larger but apart from that car parts will do especially for servicing .My personal experiences are with Komatsu (Nissan engines),Kalmar(Land Rover) Toyota (Toyota). Mark

Reply to
mark

I owuld bring the engine serial number down to my friendly Mazda dealer's parts department and find out exactkly what I had.

I used to work on Zamboni ice resurfacing machines. The HDB model of the mid-'70s used a VW "Industrial" boxer engine.

One might think that certain VW automotive part would interchange, but no way!

Reply to
*

Most of the engines seem pretty much identical to their vehicle conterpart, main exception being fuel pump setup..

Reply to
richard

Reply to
trwtrw47

Reply to
trwtrw47

Reply to
trwtrw47

There should be some kind of spec number that designates any special features of the engine, for example output shaft diameter and length. I would try searching Google and Ebay with the engine model and see what comes up.

Reply to
ATP*

| > I have a 1997 Yale forklift with a trillion hours on it (from the previous | > owner). The service manual (which cost me my left arm, leg and testicle) | > says it has a Mazda F2 engine. Surprisingly, this thin but expensive manual | > doesn't have a chapter about the engine, nor does it mention much about the | > mast. Google says the Mazda F2 engine was used in "first gen Mazda MX-6 and | > Ford Probe, 88-92 Mazda 626, and 87-93 B2200 pickups". Can I use easily | > found aftermarket parts for these cars in my forklift? For example, oil | > filters, head gaskets, spark plugs, etc. If I were to buy a service manual | > (either factory, or Haynes, but definitely not Chilton) for one of these | > cars, would the chapter on the engine be applicable to my forklift? | >

| > I'm thinking Yale would not have had Mazda build a special "forklift grade" | > version of their engine, but what do I know. | >

| > Any comments?

Google is your friend:

If they don't have what you need, they should be able to tell you where you can get it.

Reply to
carl mciver

| AL wrote: | > I have a 1997 Yale forklift with a trillion hours on it (from the previous | > owner). The service manual (which cost me my left arm, leg and testicle) | > says it has a Mazda F2 engine. Surprisingly, this thin but expensive manual | > doesn't have a chapter about the engine, nor does it mention much about the | > mast. Google says the Mazda F2 engine was used in "first gen Mazda MX-6 and | > Ford Probe, 88-92 Mazda 626, and 87-93 B2200 pickups". Can I use easily | > found aftermarket parts for these cars in my forklift? For example, oil | > filters, head gaskets, spark plugs, etc. If I were to buy a service manual | > (either factory, or Haynes, but definitely not Chilton) for one of these | > cars, would the chapter on the engine be applicable to my forklift? | >

| > I'm thinking Yale would not have had Mazda build a special "forklift grade" | > version of their engine, but what do I know. | >

| > Any comments?

Missed this one:

carl mciver

what do you need to know i work for yale dealer what state are you in

Reply to
trwtrw47