Mechanical Aptitude Test

Found this site on RMH, posted here for your enjoyment:

Look for the review button to see your test results. Phil Kangas

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Hmmmmm.......... 94%

1 error due to click> Found this site on RMH, posted here for
Reply to
RoyJ

That was fun!

Got any more?

Reply to
cavelamb himself

92% but I had the same sorts of concerns about the ambiguous ones as others have already posted.

If a switch can't be considered a series element in a circuit why do we tend to say, "Just put a switch in series with it." ???

Because of question 31, I don't think even Einstein could have scored

100% unless he just tossed a dart at the answers to that question and "got lucky".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A switch is ALWAYS in series with the ENTIRE CIRCUIT, just not considered as a component of the load.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I got 98%. The only one I got wrong was the governor, because I assumed the ring was fixed and the shaft could move.

A lot of the questions were ambiguous though, and could have multiple interpretations. I got lucky there, because the alternate (or more correct) answer wasn't one of the options.

One of the lever questions was just plain wrong, IMHO.

Reply to
Edward A. Falk
92%. I blew it on the planetary drive and worm gear (dumb moves in both cases) but the fan and the piston-sucking questions were ambiguous. I don't think it would matter which way the first fan was blowing, as long as it was blowing TOWARD the second fan. Ond the piston-suck vs atmosphere-pushing, it all depends on how esoteric you want to be. That's the only one where I had to actually guess. I chose "suck" because it implied that the piston was moving, whereas the "atmosphere" may or may not have gone down the hole with NO piston movement.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Phil Kangas wrote:

Reply to
spaco

The way I resolved the ambiguity was to consider how such a setup would look if seen from the side, as shown in the drawing. The blades would seem to be rotating in the same direction, never mind that the fans point in opposing directions.

I guessed too, but in defense of the atmosphere answer, if this little experiment happened in a vacuum, no sucking would happen no matter how hard the piston tried, so the atmosphere is essential.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

98% here also, I got nunber 7 wrong regarding the drive types. I reviewed the questions and didn't understand what the result for 7 indicated. Like you and a number of others I though a number of those question were ambiguous.
Reply to
David Billington