Mechanical Aptitude Test

Found this site on RMH, posted here for
your enjoyment:

Look for the review button to see your
test results.
Phil Kangas
Reply to
Phil Kangas
Hmmmmm.......... 94% 1 error due to clicking the wrong button, the other two have some poorly worded questions: are the fans direction specified as both from the front/rear of each or viewed as a system? And gear drive nomenclature could use a bit of work.
Phil Kangas wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
That was fun!
Got any more?
Reply to
cavelamb himself
92% but I had the same sorts of concerns about the ambiguous ones as others have already posted.
If a switch can't be considered a series element in a circuit why do we tend to say, "Just put a switch in series with it." ???
Because of question 31, I don't think even Einstein could have scored 100% unless he just tossed a dart at the answers to that question and "got lucky".
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
A switch is ALWAYS in series with the ENTIRE CIRCUIT, just not considered as a component of the load.
Jim Chandler
Reply to
Jim Chandler
I got 98%. The only one I got wrong was the governor, because I assumed the ring was fixed and the shaft could move.
A lot of the questions were ambiguous though, and could have multiple interpretations. I got lucky there, because the alternate (or more correct) answer wasn't one of the options.
One of the lever questions was just plain wrong, IMHO.
Reply to
Edward A. Falk
92%. I blew it on the planetary drive and worm gear (dumb moves in both cases) but the fan and the piston-sucking questions were ambiguous. I don't think it would matter which way the first fan was blowing, as long as it was blowing TOWARD the second fan. Ond the piston-suck vs atmosphere-pushing, it all depends on how esoteric you want to be. That's the only one where I had to actually guess. I chose "suck" because it implied that the piston was moving, whereas the "atmosphere" may or may not have gone down the hole with NO piston movement.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------
Phil Kangas wrote:
Reply to
spaco
The way I resolved the ambiguity was to consider how such a setup would look if seen from the side, as shown in the drawing. The blades would seem to be rotating in the same direction, never mind that the fans point in opposing directions.
I guessed too, but in defense of the atmosphere answer, if this little experiment happened in a vacuum, no sucking would happen no matter how hard the piston tried, so the atmosphere is essential.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn
98% here also, I got nunber 7 wrong regarding the drive types. I reviewed the questions and didn't understand what the result for 7 indicated. Like you and a number of others I though a number of those question were ambiguous.
Reply to
David Billington