Metalworking on TV

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:36:42 -0400, Gary Coffman calmly ranted:

I just found Trucks! a week and a half ago. Fun program! But, like This Old House, they go fo the projects where people are very, very deep-pocketed. I doubt any of the jobs they have done were less than $10k, most over $20k. Ouch!

Yeah, I caught that one and planned on tuning back in but couldn't find it on Spike. I caught a lot of the marathon and found it to be a great show. (Checking the online charts, I found it on at 1:30pm on Sat & Sundays). Tough Truckin looks interesting, too, and I plan to check out Horsepower TV as well.

Excellent! I liked the drive around the block in the old Dodge with no floor or brakes, too. That was a hoot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Yea, that is really a shame...but a lot of folks WERE stuck in that mode for generations. Luckily, some folks have grown out of it.

Hum..."Industy on Parade" was about 1950 or so, which means that I might have seen some re-runs in the late 50s. I suspect chunks of it get used as clips in OTHER shows still. As for "You Asked For It"...seems like there have been a few shows with that or a similar title...I, alas, don't recall seeing/hearing of it. Now...as for the "how do they do that"...there was a great British series that showed up on...hum..on...hum...Discovery Channel (I think) a few years ago called "The Secret Life Of Machines". It was hosted by a couple of fairly eccentric (we would call them normal) English guys, and, did go though the entire development process for any number of common machines. I remember with some amusement the episode where they were talking about the development of the fax machine, and, went from a huge grid on the ground and flags being raised to communicate whether a given spot was dark or not, to a couple of metal lathes spinning a picture. I think even they were a bit surprised at how well the lathe process worked. That series aired several years ago, and, I suspect may show up again soon. They tend to go in cycles. Of course, in kind of a wandering, but related area, I still have quite a warm spot in my heart for Jacob Bronowski's "Ascent

Of Man" series. It was the first series that really showed how many, supposedly unrelated development threads would come together to create a common tool of today. One of the great episodes in that series was the one dealing with the creation of Japanese swords, and, all the metallurgy that went into them. There are some great things on the tube....the sad thing is that they are being washed out by a flood of crap. As I may have said before, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with American Chopper. I really like the bits showing their creativity overcoming problems, and, I think that they certainly create some impressive bits of sculpture. I got over the voyeuristic thrill of watching the dysfunctional family thing by about the end of episode 1. However, it DOES seem to me now that they are playing to the camera a bit more.. Regards dave mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Even though I'm not really into offroading and trucks in general, I find some of the project Stacey works on to be pretty awesome. I do however, dislike the commercial nature of some episodes. One that really irked me is when he put a fabric sunroof into a Ram (IFRC). It was kinda neat, but you could tell that project got on the show 'cause a sponsor wanted it to. I guess that comes with the territory, they've got to pay the bills somehow.

I miss the good old days of This Old House (back with Bob Villa) where the houses belonged to a couple who just bought their first home. None of this Nantucket stuff.

Reply to
Matthew Douglas Rogge

Personally, I'd like to see an at least reasonably complete show of "How Things Work," with extended demonstration and at least one hour format.

The "Hands On History" guy can't seem to keep his ego out of the way and "Modern Marvels" doesn't go near deep enough, though it is better than most.

Reply to
Johan

Does it cost $ ? I mostly stick to type and no sound on the computer. I don't get what your saying. I'm serious it would take about a week of shooting and it would be metal working. Or even easier to do OT and blow the stuff on TV away with information if anyone would actually pay attention.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:12:38 -0400, Matthew Douglas Rogge calmly ranted:

True. I designed a top after glimpsing one in a catalog and cut 'n marked up some denim for Mother Dearest to stitch up into a bikini top for my old 2-wd Int'l Scout. With the top off and the top hanging over the roll bar, I had lots of wimmenfolk at the time. Ahhh, fond memories. It was a couple tons of '72 steel and no power steering, so my arms and shoulders were in good shape. That didn't hurt. ;)

Egad, not the Blob Villa shows! Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Just don't watch our Discovery.ca version of "how it's made" You will see such industrial processes as "soldering together slabs of steel" to make bank vaults, all in the inflectionless monotone of one of our national sports heros. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

So after Bob got canned from TOH and started his own show doing the remodels the way TOH had started, we find an episode where he's doing a green house addition to a lady's home on Nantucket who low-and-behold turns out to be his wife. Then the next show is a complete home remodel of another home,.. of his. Hmmmm, would be nice to have my own show(s) to remodel my house and fix up my vehicles!!

Joel. phx

Let's see what Foose can do with a 96 grand caravan....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Come on, it was hilarious to watch him talk for 5 minutes about something, pick up a hammer, drive a few nails (poorly), and then move on to the next bit.

Mainly, I liked that people who needed a break on construction costs got it, not some guy building a summer home.

Reply to
Matthew Douglas Rogge

You ever see Made In America with John Ratzenberger?

Tim

Tim Williams

Never seen a Scout wearing a bikini "with the top off and the top hanging over the roll bar". Sounds like a sight, not like

James Waldby

I liked "They said it couldn't be done" - had Lee Marvin as host IIRC.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:43:27 -0500, James Waldby calmly ranted:

I hosed that description, didn't I? I meant "I took off the hardtop and put the bikini on, hanging over the roll bar."

No, not like that. This is more like it:

don't know if I have a pic of the denim top I made or not. If so, it was on film and I haven't sorted all of my old prints and inserted them into books yet. Some day...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

In Pa we have PCN..

Pa Cable Network...

One of the things they do is tour manfg companys..

Everything from Autoharps(one man operation), the small shop that make the "Ultimate Rifle" to Carlisle Tire and Boeing Aircraft. Boing uses very few castings instead starting with a huge billet and machining 97 percent of it away with CNC..

Some real good stuff.

Garry

Reply to
Garry

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Jim Stewart wrote back on Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:34:12 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Now _there_ was a program. Some of the oddest bits of TV I've seen, but neat never the less.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich