Metric/imperial

Hell, I even have my Jeep's speedometer calibrated in knots...

Reply to
Grumman-581

If something is said often enough, even though it is incorrect, people will believe it is correct.

Repeat after me " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier" " the metric system is a better system because it is easier"

There are WMD's in Iraq

Reply to
john

I bought a nice Starrett 12 inch /metric scale on ebay a while ago.... I looked at it closely and it was almost 12 inches to be precise, it was

300mm a little shy of 12 inches. I dont think I used it for it's full length that I had thought was a 12 inches. I now keep it hid in my desk so no one will screw up a part using it.

John

Reply to
john

The only things that is better in metric is the length of your pecker... 6 inches is 15.2 cm.

John

Reply to
john

Don't forget the Nazi rifles they found in Iraq.

Michael A. Terrell

Do metric concrete and excavation people use "stere" as their unit of volume? I only know it as a crossword puzzle word meaning "cubic meter".

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

The stere isn't used in SI or common measurement. It is from old French definitions and likely related to the French Meter or is that Metere :-) of the day, not the British or German or the Japanese. All members have as the US has signed onto the SI units. And a new or common Meter was developed based upon atomic values. Common terms are used locally.

Martin

Mart>>> >> snip----

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yes there were and you are in denial. The facts are solders have been chemically harmed by being in the same room as some of the junk.

Much of it was burned in the battle field, but buildings contained the equipment and nominal stores. We knew two large groups of citizens that two types of gas was used upon them before the war to verify that the people making it did their job. And we have the people that mass produced the chemicals.

Oh - yea - the lefty types only treat WMD's as an H-Bomb. Right...

Mart> john wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The only *steer* I'm interested in is the one on my plate. Make it medium rare. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Chuckle!

Damned straight! It's better for those that have little to no ability to think and remember, I'd probably agree. I've worked with measurements of importance since I was a young teenager. I'm 68 in July------and don't find anything about metric "easier"--------not that I can't work with the system----I can. I simply convert everything to inches, where it makes sense. Screw the metric system----leave it for those that have little ability to think beyond the idea that payday's Friday.

Oh yeah! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Count me in! We should all move to the metric system, now that I understand the importance! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

If you want some confusion, go up to Canada... There is certain things which they use the metric system for and other things for which they use the US system... Road distances are in kilometers, but land area is in acres (i.e. 1/640th of a sq-mile)... Houses are likely to be measured in sq-ft also... It's like they can't quite decide which system they want to use...

Reply to
Grumman-581

"Drills by numbers and letters are intuitive" "Wire gages are intuitive" "Sheet metal gages are intuitive" "Bolts by numbers are intuitive"

TBC

Nick ;-)

Reply to
Nick Mueller

No, the stere is used for wood only. It is a cubic meter of rough lumber (including the gaps). So the difference.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Agreed... Let's define the base unit for distance as the diameter of the nucleus of a hydrogen atom and base everything else on some 10 based factor of it... Time starts getting a bit difficult to redefine since the orbit of the planet around the sun does not come out to an even multiple of 10... As long as we're not concerned with any backwards compatibility, we could define the base unit of time as the time it takes for light to travel the distance of the diameter of a hydrogen atom nucleus in a vacuum...

Staying on the hydrogen bandwagon, so to speak, let's define temperature as 0 degrees being absolute zero (like in the Kelvin scale) and 1 degree being the melting point of hydrogen...

Hell, this is as good of a base for unit measures as what is currently used in the metric system... Probably even better, come to think of it...

Reply to
Grumman-581

As I've said before, when you grow up with these things and understand them, they're no more difficult than any other system to understand and use. To me, they are intuitive. I see no need to change to yet another system-----especially when the reason is it requires less intelligence.

Harold

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Perhaps, but give me a 20mm over a .50 anyday also...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Intelligent systems don't require intelligence because it is inherent. Stupid systems require charts, not intelligence because stupidity can't be fought by intelligence.

:-)))

Nick, duck and run

Reply to
Nick Mueller

-leave it for those that have little

Harold don't forget the other two things that a plumber needs to know. " Hot on the left " and " Sh-- runs down hill " :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I just saw a special on TV which said there were about 450 POUNDS of material returned from the moon missions. If the Imperial system was so lacking wouldn't those rocks have been measured in kilos?

I mean where is the "proof of the pudding" when it comes to the much vaunted superiority of the metric system? I, for one, don't see it exhibited anywhere.

In fact, if anything, it appears the opposite.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger