Miller Blue Fire 180 Problem

A friend has the subject unit. He thinks that the circuit board has
some failed componets. The board has conformal coating so it would be
hard to find the bad device(s). The least expensive price for a board
that he has found is about $1000. Is there a more reasonable place or
does any one know who might repair these boards. The diagram calls the
board PC1 and the parts list indicates a part number, 179 437.
Thanks for any help.
Dave Foreman
Tucson
Reply to
Dave Foreman
People always blame the part they understand least. Find a competent tech and have him service it. It'll be cheaper than guessing.
Many conformal coatings can be stripped OK if you know what you are doing.
Reply to
N Morrison
I have received the sysmptom from the owner. He says that the engine will bog down or even quit when he strikes an arc. Thanks Dave Foreman
Reply to
Dave Foreman
Assuming this is a Gas Engine Driven Welder, I'd look at fuel/ carburation. You can't pull too much power from the welder so it looks like the engine can't deliver power. Can he hold the butterfly open while welding? Does that help? Or is it fuel injected in which case check the injectors.
Reply to
N Morrison
For a moment I thought you were giving that advice to Don Foreman. Then I re-read the headers because it seemed so wrong.
Btw, how do you strip those coatings? Inquiring minds want to know.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
stripping conformal coatings depends on the coating. I just happen to remember, from a long time ago, that a conformal coating called "humiseal 1b-31" can be stripped with Freon TMC, for example.
Reply to
Bill Noble
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:13:36 -0400, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:
Conformal coating is easily melted off with a 1,500F flame, Wes. Quick as a bunny!
-- The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. --Mark Russell
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Site Timeline