Modern car paint and rust

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:13:56 -0600
<snip>

They have a reputation in the rustbelt :)
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=toyota+t-100+rust+recall&kd=-1
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 2/16/2017 10:55 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

WOw! I'll need to climb under and check it out. I expect I won't see any problems, it's been a Florida truck all it's life, so no snow or salt on the underside. It just rolled over 100,000 miles in the last two weeks. Hmm, another 20 years will make me 81, I might need to purchase another truck before I die. ;-) Thanks for the heads up on the rust problem.
Mikek

If it has no rust yet, get a good oil type rust prevention spray on it. Do they have Krown or RustChek down there? Or mabee Rusty Jones??
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:56:10 -0600
<snip>

No biggie but it you get around to looking I would be curious to know how it looks :)
A friend/neighbor bought a 1976 Chevy K20 Pickup from Montana last summer. Made a trip to trailer it back. I had a 1976 C10 Shortbox Pickup that was ridiculously rusted out by 1980. Bottom of the tailgate, doors, front fenders, front of the hood, inner box fenders... It was two years old when I bought it and immediately had it rustproofed. It still looked good then... Anyway the truck he brought back is in immaculate condition. I had warned him about that year and rust but was I ever wrong. Still has the original paint. He just did some routine maintenance, tires, exhaust, cab mounts... and drove it. It has been appraised at $18000 to $22000 if I recall correctly.
So where you live can make a big difference...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

HUGE difference
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 07:42:21 -0600, Ignoramus20725

Yes.
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

25 years if you take care of them. 5 to 7 if you don't. My daughter's Honda is10? years old and the body is still spotless - and she has had virtually no repairs. It is serviced regularly - the first years by the dealer now by her Fiance who is a HD Truck mechanic.
message wrote:

My 2000 CRV still looks nearly new, because I welded up a few small rust holes and wax it yearly. -jsw
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 8:42:27 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus20725 wrote:

Jeez, that's above my pay grade, Ig. There are just too many variables. I c an tell you, though, that eight years is more or less the industry benchmar k these days, and when you dig into their technical literature, you'll find that ten years is a frequent target for the latest treatments.
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:03:45 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A lot of today's vehicles have a 10 year rust "perforation" warranty. If you get a bubble in the paint you KNOW there is perforation allowing moisture in from the back.
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 4:44:19 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

:
I can tell you, though, that eight years is more or less the industry bench mark these days, and when you dig into their technical literature, you'll f ind that ten years is a frequent target for the latest treatments.

Right. Those warranties generally are for perforation. The eight and ten-ye ar terms I was talking about are for gloss -- and they aren't guarantees.
As I think I mentioned, the newer automotive paint systems are looking for gloss, usually for the clear coat, but in some cases for the base coat with no clear coat (like Ford's new system, which they aren't using for cars ye t).
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 14:09:42 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Even Ford's "clear coat" in the early 2000s isn't really "clear" - it is a translucent colour coat (It's pealing a few spots on the '02 Taurus.
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 11:49:35 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

ote:

ed

by

ly

s. I can tell you, though, that eight years is more or less the industry be nchmark these days, and when you dig into their technical literature, you'l l find that ten years is a frequent target for the latest treatments.

-year terms I was talking about are for gloss -- and they aren't guarantees .

or gloss, usually for the clear coat, but in some cases for the base coat w ith no clear coat (like Ford's new system, which they aren't using for cars yet).

I'm keeping an eye on my 2004 Focus and my 2004 Sonata. So far, they're bot h bright and shiny, with no rust (except under the hood of the Focus, which has what looks like plain carbon steel fasteners under the hood. Stupid, t o save maybe 50 cents over galvanized or stainless.)
--
Ed Huntress

A mate works in engine design and has worked on a number of projects for Ford and he hates their projects as he said they make you justify every change just to save fractions of a Euro cent. Likely someone has thought long and hard about those fasteners and decided they could get away with it. My mate mentioned the Ford baked potato joke which he said was funny but all too true http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t 13 .
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 5:30:16 AM UTC-5, David Billington wrote :

e:

wrote:
:

ed

by

lly

.
ten-year terms I was talking about are for gloss -- and they aren't guarant ees.

g for gloss, usually for the clear coat, but in some cases for the base coa t with no clear coat (like Ford's new system, which they aren't using for c ars yet).

both bright and shiny, with no rust (except under the hood of the Focus, w hich has what looks like plain carbon steel fasteners under the hood. Stupi d, to save maybe 50 cents over galvanized or stainless.)

Ha-ha! That's a good one.
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 20:57:35 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Stainless never used under the hood - nor Galvanized We used to use either electro-zinc or more commonlt cadmium plating - but it is virtually impossible to do cadmium plating in North America today with EPA rules. The choice is plain steel American bolts or Chinese Cadmium. What would YOUR choice be???
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 3:37:42 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

te:

wrote:
te:

based

zing

80s by

with

ere

than

cally

bles. I can tell you, though, that eight years is more or less the industry benchmark these days, and when you dig into their technical literature, yo u'll find that ten years is a frequent target for the latest treatments.

y.

ten-year terms I was talking about are for gloss -- and they aren't guarant ees.

g for gloss, usually for the clear coat, but in some cases for the base coa t with no clear coat (like Ford's new system, which they aren't using for c ars yet).

both bright and shiny, with no rust (except under the hood of the Focus, wh ich has what looks like plain carbon steel fasteners under the hood. Stupid , to save maybe 50 cents over galvanized or stainless.)

Most underhood fasteners I've seen are conversion coated with zinc or some other phosphate. The bolts on my Hyundai have a black coating on top of som e kind of zinc. After 12 years it's gotten pretty fluffy and looks like ele ctrogalvanizing.
The Ford bolts look uncoated.
--
Ed Huntress

Most underhood fasteners I've seen are conversion coated with zinc or some other phosphate. The bolts on my Hyundai have a black coating on top of some kind of zinc. After 12 years it's gotten pretty fluffy and looks like electrogalvanizing.
The Ford bolts look uncoated.
--
Ed Huntress

Despite New England winter road salt the hardware on my 91 Ford came
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:37:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Plain zinc, y'mean?
--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

spray everything with oil twice a year is my choice