Mounting Aloris AXA on Grizzly G9972Z (CQ6128Ax660)

I finally got around to drilling and rethreading the toolpost base on my lathe from whatever the metric thread was (wimpy) to a He-Man

9/16x18NF. Started out by clamping the base down, used the original (wimpy) bolt to indicate off of (using my Blake Co-Ax) and centered it to within a thousandth or two (didn't have to, but this is America!). Not having a 33/64 (.515) on hand to drill, I used a 1/2 inch drill and took care while threading.

Newsflash - The Starrett 93B tap wrench will NOT accept the shank from a 9/16x18 tap. I left the base clamped down after drilling, put a spring loaded tap guide in, and lowered the head to load the spring. Then I used a Crescent wrench to put the moxie on the tap.

Tapped slowly, backing out every quarter turn or so, plenty of tapping fluid. Came out nice, but I'd bet the Hanson Tap was H3 or so, if I had this to do again, I'd want an H1 tap.

Unclamped it, cleaned it up, touched up the bur on a belt. Checked the threads for grit, slid it in to the compound, tightened it in with the two set screws, then screwed in the toolpost bolt. Put the AXA on the bolt, tightened it down with the top nut, and dropped the toolholder on the dovetail. Note: the toolholder is pretty much all the way to the bottom, but it DOES align with the center of the workpiece...

I used a Redding tool to align the cutter to the center of the workpiece, then locked the toolpost before running the jamnut down. It cuts smoother than the original post, and it did a facing cut without leaving a nub.

Reply to
Louis Ohland